on 5 August 2001
Many people consider Thomas Hardy to be a great novelist and poet; but he is equally a great story writer. These are 19th Century stories; so they do not start in the middle and expect the reader to infer what the author leaves out; they are are not pared to the bone. They start at the beginning, describing vividly the setting of the place and the history of the leading characters, and build up to a proper conclusion. Without trying to derogate 20th Century writers like Hemmingway, these stories are all the better for it. They could have been easily extended to fully blown novels. They have all the touches that one expects from Hardy: vivid decription of Wessex, tragedy untouched by sentimentality; a solid style with touches of literary genius; and a perceptive understanding of the relationship between men and women, people and their environment, and a keen understanding of rustic life just before it was swept away by the arrival of the radio, the telephone, the motor vehicle, electricity and other aspects of modernity. If you love Jude or Tess, read this book. As soon as I had finished it, I hunted down his other short story collections, Wessex Tales, etc., which are just as good.
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2010
Look, I just have to say that anything written by Hardy has got to be worth a read!
on 16 November 2010
Worth reading just for the truly haunting 'Fiddler of the Reels' alone. Who or what was Mop? And when I re-read this last night, for the first time for over thirty years, Ned Hipcroft's grief and despair rolled over me as though it were my own. Hardy may be uneven, but he has moments when he just leaves everyone else standing, and this is one of the best of them.
on 12 March 2014
funly enough I had just finished readin this book two weeks ago, and I must say I really enjoyed reading this book a lot,
I recall finishing this one about two weeks ago, so yes once again a very good read I would recomend to all readers who do love poetry.
on 11 December 2014
Not one of Hardy's better reads although I did stick it out.
The 'coincidence' level was at the higher end of the scale - only Bobby Ewing coming out of the shower exceeds this!
on 29 January 2013
If you are a fan of Thomas Hardy you will not be disappointed with this book. I can't complain about the price as it was free - I would recommend to all TH lovers.
on 8 October 2016
Why the American spellings?
on 6 February 2014
Bought it for my husband so not for me to comment on the contents.
The delivery was quick and the book in a very good condition.
on 9 October 2016
The stories are well written and entertaining. If you are looking for a a book that you can dip in and out of this is for you.
on 10 January 2014
On of my all time favourite classics. Hardy's view on lfe is as true today as when the book was written