This book is a personal favourite of mine, and one that I never get tired of reading, and I know that I am not the only adult that has read it many times, and will continue to do so. Great for children as well this is something that you can read to them in instalments, and when they are old enough, they can then read themselves.

Published over a hundred years ago, rather like JK Rowling and her Harry Potter books this was turned down by a number of publishers, and when it was eventually published received some quite snooty reviews from critics. However despite this this was a hit with the public, and has remained so, and it is easy to see why.

This isn’t perfect by any means and reading it you do soon realise that the animal characters change size on a number of occasions, from their normal animal size, to being larger and coming into contact with humans. They even have money, after all Mr Toad can buy anything he seemingly wants and lives in a hall.

As Mole leaves his home for a look outside on a glorious spring morning so he comes into contact with Ratty, and the two are soon firm friends. With Badger, who Ratty already knows, Mole makes another new friend, and also with Toad. But with all the comedy and incident here it is Toad that captures everyone’s imagination. He is conceited and really to a certain extent obnoxious but we can’t help but root for him as he goes to prison, escapes and then finds out that Toad Hall is being squatted in by stoats and weasels.

Creating a world that has many similarities with the real one at that period, this is a tale that keeps us all enthralled as we read of the many exploits and adventures that happen here, as well as the more sedate side of life, with relaxing and taking meals with friends. Always a treat to read there is one thing here that you end up saying and can’t help yourself when you get into a car, and that is Toad’s saying of ‘Poop! Poop!’ Don’t worry it does wear off after a few days, but the next time you read the book it happens again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2012
I remember having this book read to me at school and all the class were rapt and couldn't wait for every Friday afternoon for the next installment. The love of this book has grown as I have grown older and each time I read it, I find something new and more delightful in it. How I long to sit in Badgers comfortable home or watch the river go gliding past whilst at Ratty's house. Even Moles little home is charming with his little skittle alley. Toad Hall didn't impress me much as a child and still doesn't but who can't love the bumptious and rather silly Toad? He maybe rash and naughty but at heart he is a loveable chap.

This book simply doesn't date and the descriptions given of the river and the herbage and of the Wild Wood are superb. Probably my favourite chapter being Pagan, is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Ratty and Mole are swept along without oars listening to music coming from they know not where until they find themselves on a little island and there they find a certain special someone plus the Otters son who has been missing for some time.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for children and adults alike............it simply transports you to a quieter, nicer time and makes you feel all 'squishy' and happy inside.
on 16 June 2017
I love books. WilliamsBookseller.com, who are responsible for this edition, do not.
The book is an irregular size, the paper is not the welcoming quality of a regular publisher. But if it were only these slightly irksome things to annoy. There is worse.
The back cover blurb is illiterate and ungrammatical- and there is a *publisher's* dedication- 'vanity of vanities ...'
A picture is still a picture, despite its frame. However, to me, a book, is a full-on tactile experience. In moments when you put the volume aside, you may glance at the introductory pages, smile at the back-cover wit.
Not with this one. You'll just be reminded what a cheap-skate you are. And as Mr Kenneth Grahame's book is a wonderful work of wit and imagination that you may return to many times, you will be reminded of your parsimonious decision many times.
I do not intend to return this thing. I will take the hit and replace it with an edition from a professional publisher. I shall burn it, and therefore avoid the possibility that it may fall into the hands of an impressionable child, who may believe that all books might be as ugly as this.
I give the one star, because you have to, to post, but also I suppose, I might admit, delivery was prompt. Which bearing in mind the soulessness of this thing, does bring to mind what they said about Mussolini, and trains.
review image
on 18 September 2013
Bought this for my Mum as she never got to read it as a child. I chose this one over the more highly illustrated copies because it seemed from the information that it stayed true to the original story and contained more chapters. It's a really nice book, if you are looking for a more traditional copy,
on 24 July 2017
Im 37, and I am not ashamed to say that while I love this book and the BBC claymation series, I purchased it with the intention to give it as present to a friend's daughter.
But the child inside me told me to keep it for myself.
And so I did.

On a more serious note, the book is a treat for the eyes, with full page illustrations in color plus (this is what I love most) small illustrations covering only a portion of the page, like an old classic ilustrated book.
Its heavier than your average paperback or harcover book and slightly bigger. Not the best choice to carry around.
on 7 October 2015
My mother read the book to me, and like so many others who have been fascinated by the story, never questioned the animals size in relation to humans or the environment around them. Somehow Grahame had made things equal and the animals were able to change worlds without the reader noticing. And when I grew older and read the book to my daughter the differences therein went unnoticed. My daughter has my copy, So what better book to replace and read in retirement.
on 6 March 2012
AFTER LISTENING TO THIS ON BBC7 I THOUGHT IT WAS AN EXCELLENT DRAMATISATION OF KENNETH GRAHAMES BOOK. SO I BOUGHT IT ON AMAZON AT A GOOD PRICE. ITS A 2CD SET WHICH LAST 2HRS AND 20 MINS ALTHOUGH IT STATES THAT THE RUNNING TIME IS 2 HOURS. I LOVE THIS SET AND IT WILL BE PLAYED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I RECENTLY BOUGHT ANOTHER SET FOR MY NEPHEWS TO LISTEN TO IN THE MOTORHOME. I ALSO BOUGHT THE EGMONT HARDBACK BOOK WITH THE PROTECTIVE SLIPCASE IT HAS THE ORIGINAL E.H SHEPARD COLOUR ILLUSTRATIONS IT RETAILS AT £35 BUT IT IS ON AT THE MINUTE FOR UNDER £30 AND WILL BE COLLECTABLE VERY SOON. I RECENTLY PURCHASED THE 1971 METHUEN WIND IN THE WILLOWS THE VERY FIRST COLOURISED ILLUSTRATIONS BY E.H SHEPARD AND THE FIRST PRINT I PAID £150 FOR IT FROM A VERY WELL KNOWN ANTIQUE BOOK SELLER. I LOVE THIS BOOK AND WILL READ IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
on 28 July 2017
Bought as a present for my daughter and could not be more disappointed. It looks like a awkwardly photo-copied rip off, badly guillotined and bound in a hurry by somebody wearing welding gloves. The illustrations are blurry, pixelated low-res affronts to the original. The type is badly formatted with inconsistent font and size. The layout is simply bizarre. Reading such a butchered version of a classic caused me actual physical pain. I feel conned and insulted and had no idea I was gifting a sub-standard pamphlet to my little girl as a reward for hard work and excellence. A useful prop to illustrate the potential perils of piracy. I should learn to expect to get what you pay for but even this price seems exorbitant.
on 25 April 2015
I am 70 and still read it. I can quote passages by heart.
Should be read on a summers afternoon sitting by a river or in a wood.
Compulsory reading for children (up to the age of 90) in my view
11 Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse