on 24 August 2015
Reading this aloud to my ten year old daughter was a real treat. It truly is a timeless classic, perhaps Burnett's finest work. Emotions such as grief are delicately wrought while the horror of being a poverty stricken orphan in the 19th century is well brought out, with this section of the book lasting a lot longer than I expected it would. Despite concerted efforts to humiliate and break the spirit of our heroine, she retains her sense of self worth and so who could resist the ending she undoubtedly deserves. My little girl had no idea about the story and so met each unfolding episode with shock, tears, wonder and delight: finally declaring (and she's a tough one to please!), that it was the best story she'd ever read or heard. I didn't read it myself as a child, but as an adult I was surprised at how well the author controlled the potential for over-sentimentality: Sara remains believable and likeable throughout. As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
on 19 November 2016
Certain books feel like home. To me, The Secret Garden is one of those. It is a book full of familiar faces, familiar voices, familiar sights and smells. Returning to it is like the return of spring itself. Within its pages I feel safe, calm, at peace. Nature, magic, and the childish joy that comes with keeping secrets… What isn’t there to love? Frances Hodgson Burnett is poetic in the way she describes gardens revealing their secrets and lonely little girls watching their beautiful mothers from afar.

In the end, it’s the characters that truly bring the story to life; both the children and the adults around them. Mary Lennox stamps and frowns her way into my heart, endearingly stubborn though she is. Dickon Sowerby is the wood fairy I dreamed of running away with when I was a child. And Colin Craven, with his wild tantrums and rude habit of stealing the show in the second half… I simply cannot help but adore them all!

The Secret Garden, much like Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, is a story that was read to me when I was very young. It shaped me not only as a person, but as a writer. It inspired in me a love for words and nature. There is no better gift for a child than that!
on 13 March 2017
The cover is so pretty and it looks amazing in the bookcase. As for the story, it might be a bit of an acquired taste. I like it because it has a lot of memories for me from reading it as a child, but then I could understand someone reading it for the first time, might find it a bit slow.

If you already love this story and just want a nice edition of it, this is definitely the book for you.
on 15 January 2015
Although I have just recently read this classic, I have always been aware of how amazing this story is. I have grown up watching one of the movies and have to say that both book and movie are spectacular.
Both children have suffered massive losses at their young age and were unnerved by this, but they did show each other empathy as much as we did with them. Yet both children manage to develop brilliantly throughout the novel, just like the garden.
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, imagining and marveling along with the children in the book. The author has done a superb job with this novel, but Kindle could have used a more appealing cover design for this edition of The Secret Garden
on 10 October 2015
I love this story! I bought two copies for my small granddaughters. They are too small as yet to take it all in. I hope that it will be a 'keeper' that they will enjoy over and over again. Maybe it will be too old fashioned for today's little girls who like 'princesses' ? I hope not. A lovely book for a paperback. Good value.
on 16 December 2016
good
on 27 November 2016
I saw this on offer, so pick up the Kendal version. I am looking forward to a quite time Sunday to sit and enjoy.
on 24 August 2013
I loved reading this book I've continued to keep going back. I previously only watched the films so wasn't looking to read the book but on insistence of one of my friends decided to download and I'm so glad I did and would recommend it throughly as it details everything so well and your taken to another time and place.
on 26 January 2017
Came on good time. The book it's self is good condition,better than I expected. The content is heart warming and sweet read if you like classic British story.
on 26 April 2017
A magical tale of hope, riches to rags to riches story, intriguing, of truth and ultimately, that love DOES conquer all.
It is beautifully written by the lovely author, Frances Hodgeson Burnett, of The Secret Garden, need I tell you anymore?