on 30 April 2013
Again I must say I have not really gotten through all of this novel ( Still on Vol 1 ) but I love it. The book goes into far more detail than any of the movies that have been made, so there were places and people I did not even know about! It starts by introducing people way back in time, and Valjean and the story we all probably know does not start until way later on in the book! However it is compelling reading and if you can bear with it I promise you, you will not be sorry ! Enjoy it, it is wonderful!
2 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
This book is not the theatre show or film, it is a gritty account of the inequalities of French society in the 1800's. Hugo intertwines reality with fiction expertly, and uses his own experiences to bring additional colour and life to the story. It is a social and political commentary of his time. His account of The Battle of Waterloo is very insightful, even though it is, understandably, somewhat biased toward the French point of view. Be preared for a long hard read. If you can stick it out it is very worthwhile.
One person found this helpful
on 3 March 2013
Ever since I was a child I have loved this book reading it over and over again, or so I thought until, whilst packing to move house I found the book and I found that the book I had been reading over and over as a child was actually only the abridged version! How stupid was I?

So I bought volumes 1&2 of this book and OMG I love it even more. I have always been a fan of the musical (read the 'abridged' book before I saw the musical) and the new film is fantastic also (In my Opinion). This is a classic novel that, to me, still beats most others. I could honestly read it time and time again, even at its immense length.

I would thoroughly recommend this to any lover of books/reading, it is a must read, and a fantastic product.
on 14 November 2015
A book of its time, about its time, namely the French Revolutionary period. As with Dickens, the characterization is superb, but the plots and events are very uninspiring in today's world.
on 19 May 2017
Good condition on arrival great read
on 17 December 2014
Lots of detail about the time of the French Revolution, and well worth reading as it helps you understand the story being the films and musicals based on it.
on 14 August 2013
Don't be put off by the size of these books, or by the dense and slightly convoluted beginning. The books have so much more to offer than the film/ theatrical versions.
One person found this helpful
on 18 August 2014
Present for my father for his birthday. He was very pleased with it.
on 4 November 2015
Great.
on 5 January 2013
Great book unfortunately I didn't realise this was book one (volume 1) and I hadn't ordered volume 2 my mistake.
2 people found this helpful