on 4 March 2016
This is my second attempt at trying to get through this book. I started it many years ago but abandoned it because at the time I simply didn't have the stamina to stay with it. This time I have bought the book (gave the last one to a charity shop) and downloaded it to my kindle so I can pick it up when on the move, giving myself more opportunities to absorb it.
This isn't a light read by any stretch and the print is very small so you need excellent eyesight or a page magnifier at least. I am anticipating the sense of achievement when I finally get to the end of it.
on 4 March 2016
I'm still only half way through this magnificent story of 4 families in prerevolution Russia, but, boy, what a story it's turning out to be! I have seen the films and TV adaptations but honestly they can't convey the majestic settings and vivid descriptions the book holds. Characters are finely drawn and it's good to get the thought processes behind the actions. Yep, an excellent read!
on 12 October 2014
It is a wonderfull very well written book but this version has american spelling, I'm sure its Prince Andre not Prince Andrew, little things like this translation can be irritating, but then having said that it is a very inexpensive great way to read a gripping classic.
on 9 January 2015
War and Peace might not be perfection, but neither was Tolstoy. His was a life was lived to extremes and yet in his work an uncommon humility endures. It is a product of someone who would allow the world to share in his experience. It is a complete representation of material experience, the kind inaccessible to general readers who would not have the convenience to contemplate as Tolstoy did. Ultimately this is a work of art attributed to an artist who properly 'knew' that which he was depicting.
on 14 February 2011
I've finally finished the book everyone has heard of but very few have read.Like a great many worthwhile things in life,it rewards effort.958 closely typed pages aren't going to be read quickly but stick in there as this book truly is an epic.It tells the story of several russian families from 1804 until after the 1812 campaign through,as it says on the cover,war and peace.The story alternates between Russia's wars with napolean and the characters who participate in them and the lives of those left behind at home.
To be quite honest i sometimes found some of the peace parts a drag but Tolstoys accounts of the wars are outstanding and riveting-the notes say he served in war as a soldier in his own times and this is evident in his writing.
There are a vast range of both main and secondary characters in the book,it can be quite difficult to keep up at times,but for a novel with such an epic scope this couldnt be otherwise.All the characters are three dimensional,secondary as well as main.
I've often found in reading other 19th century novels that there seems to be a lot of "padding"-why use one word when twenty will do?I do not feel that this is something you could say with this book-its very long but it has a lot of ground to cover.
The only fault i could give to the actual book is the constant need to flick back and fore to the notes at the end;They might better have been included as footnotes though of course the edition is maybe trying to remain true to the original page numbering so this may not have been possible.The book itself kept its shape and binding well,theres not even a spine crease despite the 1 and a half months of reading!I paid £1.74 for this,i think the value for money speaks for itself.
In closing,I feel that the biggest compliment i could give this is that any novelists reading it must surely despair at what they have to aspire to.Supurb
on 26 August 2014
A brilliant read but lots of typographical errors which were, at times, difficult to decipher. Also 'Characters in War and Peace' is at the end, this included an explanation on suffixes and prefixes which would have been helpful at the beginning.
Unfortunately, the very last 1% of the text was corrupted(?) into vertical columns so could only read half the page. Also, a general Kindle problem - the maps were virtually unreadable.
on 5 February 2016
An absolute classic about the Napoleonic wars and Napoleon's various attempts to invade Russia.

I am a speed reader so the length of this doesn't daunt me at all.

I think it will gain extra popularity given the brilliant adaptation broadcast by the bbc.

You can't beat the book though, it's obviously more in depth and your imagination always makes reading a more enjoyable experience.
on 20 July 2017
A worthy replacement of my elderly translation that simply makes it very much easier to be 'just a good a good read' rather than some sort of an exercise in digesting pages of assumed profundity. The lists of characters is a very useful guide around an otherwise perplexing alien maze. I don't know whether the final chapter on the nature of history will be as palatable as the rest of the book, but I'll take this as the final test of the translators. .
on 4 August 2014
This one I had to give five stars, because it is a timeless classic. I have read it from cover to cover and, whilst I can't remember everything that was written in it (because my memory simply isn't big enough!), what I do remember is how it made me feel. They do say that people will not remember so much what you said, but rather how you made them feel, so if that is true, then Tolstoy has done an excellent job. :)
on 13 December 2014
I got this as a free Kindle download despite some comments about spelling etc. Without doubt there are spelling mistakes/ typos throughout. However, I have found my enjoyment (yes i have enjoyed reading War and Peace!) enhanced by the footnotes, which have given a depth of background to the main text.

Well done for this version. Eight out of ten - sort out the typos and you can have the other two marks :-)

(I haven't yet read the additional material)