on 19 July 2016
Not a terrible book by any means, I just found it a bit long and drawn out, although I did find it reasonably engaging and it kept me fairly interested to the end. To me it seems very dated, unlike some classic novels, and the complete lack of a plot doesn't help! Just nicely observed day to day lives of the chattering idle classes.
on 9 August 2017
All the books together. A complete joy. Perfect prose, delicious humour and great insight into characters. Plus adventure and a window into a distant part of our history. Plus they are so beautifully written they are easy to read.
on 11 February 2014
I got this box set at a crazy price, just below £3! It was the last one in stock and reported as damaged. It's only fault was the corner of the boxset which was slightly ripped - that was it!! No damage to the books which is the main thing. They are good quality books in a delightful set. I have not read all of them yet, but I very much enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and I look forward to finishing the set!
2 people found this helpful
on 14 November 2014
Jane Austen is so much a product of her time, but the great thing is that she sees clearly and with a quite cutting wit describes the preoccupations of the more leisured classes in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Through her more perceptive heroines, we see the hypocrisy and scheming typical of many. Fortunately, many scenes are as amusing as they are annoying or exasperating. Austen is a masterful writer who anyone can appreciate and admire.
on 20 June 2014
Was hesitant about reading Jane Austin after being 'force fed' her decades ago. I needn't have worried: once I got used to a style that is a bit wordier and an action that is slower than most modern writing, I couldn't put it down. All the usual things about the author - keen observation, gentle humour & clever portrayals are true. I'm going to read more of her books. I should add that I read it on holiday and maybe if I had had less time to read I would have wanted a faster-moving story.
on 6 November 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story remains true to the original, but there are some slight alterations that make the story unfold a little differently. I felt these changes were clever and successfully developed in such a way that they kept my interested eager to know what would happen next. If you are an Austin and McCall Smith fan you will probably enjoy this book.
on 29 January 2018
Bought this to read on holiday. Was too busy to read more than half a chapter of the first book (Lady Susan) but even that was thoroughly enjoyable. Now have all the others to look forward to !!
on 18 January 2015
Abridged version read Excellently by Juliet Stevenson but the intrusive snatches of Beethoven Drove Me Mad ! At one point we had Beethoven inbetween Emma walking up Miss Bates stairs and then walking into the room ! Even worse was when there was a musical accompaniment to the narrative. Jane Austen Tells us when Emma is sad and upset, we don't need a soulful musical accompaniment to belabour the point ! I would Never, Never recommend this version to a Jane Austen lover which is a pity given Juliet Stevenson's excellent reading and characterisations of the various characters.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 February 2018
I know Jane Austen is writing about a certain class of people, but she has a sharp eye for character and little comments paint such a vivid picture of her characters' shortcomings. How repressed and repressive those times were! I felt like throttling Mrs Norris, but we are supposed to! I haven't finished it yet, though read it years ago.Still a page-turner but I think for these period classics you need the time to enjoy them at a steady pace.
on 10 January 2014
I'm a big fan of all Jane Austen's works. I downloaded this for 'practice' when I got my new Kindle Paperwhite at Christmas (being totally new to the Kindle experience). The appearance of the text and compactness gives a real 18th C feel to the whole thing; very close to a hard copy special edition I own. The story is based on a series of misunderstandings showing how the mind can mislead us about what we truly want, rather than what we think we do. An excellent, light-hearted read, ideal for the holiday season.