on 28 July 2014
Having finally finished this, I can say that I disagree with the reviewer who says that the language is inappropriate - I didn't notice any 'modernisms' or anything out of place. However it's not a piece of easy reading and the names of the characters and places can be confusing, but it's worth sticking with and the story gets very exciting! The translator says that he has kept to the previous, successful, translation apart from translating some expressions that had been left in French. I re-watched the first episode of the TV series and was surprised to find that the battles mentioned on TV appear in the notes in the book - they were real! I would suggest that you skip the introduction (leave it till the end) and just get on with reading the story.
on 12 April 2015
What can one say that hasn't been said about this superb story! One of the best swashbucklers ever, one of my top 10 favourite books (I rate this writer's Count of Monte Cristo as 2nd best book ever....), and always worth rereads. For sure everyone will have their favourite of the four heroes, and perhaps most go for young hotheaded d'Artagnan just come up from Gascony and desperate to become a musketeer, and his confused passions for dangerous Milady and his landlord's wife Constance, but I always adored Aramis, the second youngest of the four. Handsome, elegant, much loved by women, continually talking of wanting to become a priest yet a doughty, cool-headed and fine fighter, and by far the most mysterious and has influential friends and is the lover of the Queen's confidante, the Duchesse de Chevreuse, which leads to some of the adventures in the book whilst giving only hints of the important mover and shaker he'll become in the later books. Or you may be passionate about mysteriously morose Athos, the oldest of the four, who never seems to show any interest in women and has a "past" he won't talk about. Or perhaps Porthos is your favourite - bombastic, vain, and huge, a great lovable bear of a man based apparently on the writer's own father.
on 12 August 2015
Really enjoyed this read. However, the (absolutely excellent) BBC series has somewhat 'updated' the attitudes to women so, if you've seen that first, be prepared for some mixed heroism and meanness. Part way through I was aghast to find a supposedly gallant musketeer completely exploiting a maid's feelings for him. One of them does that with a governess in the BBC version, but he has an underlying motive that makes it seem less erm, callous! So, not all nobility and chivalry, but still so much fun.
on 30 March 2015
Just received my copy and I can confirm that it's the Peaver translation. Book looks and feels good and the Tom Gauld cover is a real treat. The Count of Montecristo is possibly my favourite book, so can't wait to get stuck in to the Three Musketeers.
on 18 September 2014
I loved the BBC TV series and although it felt a little as if it was played 'tongue in cheek' I was delighted to find this book which comprises a new, more modern translation from the original French text.

My absolute favourite character is D'Artangnan, played by Luke Pasqualino and I'm hoping the series will return for more adventures, now that I've finished reading the lengthy book.
on 23 February 2014
I bought his book to update myself with the story now that it is a major TV series. Although the TV series is not following the story line in the book I have enjoyed the book greatly it is a great adventure and I have found myself putting off almost everything to read a few more pages. Your own imagination is allowed to run riot as you speed from one adventure to another. I have now purchased the whole box set of Musketeer adventures so many more hours of pleasure ahead!
on 27 July 2017
Gift
on 9 September 2013
This is the opening book in a 6 volume work detailing the lives of the musketeers from initial meeting to their deaths. The insight into the court of Louis 14th is masterful and the story is a fine mix of action and narrative with a good dash of humour thrown in, especially from the larger than life Porthos character! A true classic of its kind, well worth reading.
on 27 March 2014
This book I read many years ago and to read it again was a pleasure. For those looking for something similar to the BBC TV series the book is deeper and although some of the ideas are (at a very high level) similar the program can not live up to the book.

A very good read
on 20 August 2015
Sometimes classics can be over-hyped, but this is genuinely a great book. Really we'll written with a bit of a dry wit, never takes itself too seriously. Really engrosses you back to revolutionary France. You end up really caring for the characters and it's just a classic swashbuckling adventure. A page turner.