on 28 July 2014
Having finally finished this, I can say that I disagree with the reviewer who says that the language is inappropriate - I didn't notice any 'modernisms' or anything out of place. However it's not a piece of easy reading and the names of the characters and places can be confusing, but it's worth sticking with and the story gets very exciting! The translator says that he has kept to the previous, successful, translation apart from translating some expressions that had been left in French. I re-watched the first episode of the TV series and was surprised to find that the battles mentioned on TV appear in the notes in the book - they were real! I would suggest that you skip the introduction (leave it till the end) and just get on with reading the story.
on 12 April 2015
What can one say that hasn't been said about this superb story! One of the best swashbucklers ever, one of my top 10 favourite books (I rate this writer's Count of Monte Cristo as 2nd best book ever....), and always worth rereads. For sure everyone will have their favourite of the four heroes, and perhaps most go for young hotheaded d'Artagnan just come up from Gascony and desperate to become a musketeer, and his confused passions for dangerous Milady and his landlord's wife Constance, but I always adored Aramis, the second youngest of the four. Handsome, elegant, much loved by women, continually talking of wanting to become a priest yet a doughty, cool-headed and fine fighter, and by far the most mysterious and has influential friends and is the lover of the Queen's confidante, the Duchesse de Chevreuse, which leads to some of the adventures in the book whilst giving only hints of the important mover and shaker he'll become in the later books. Or you may be passionate about mysteriously morose Athos, the oldest of the four, who never seems to show any interest in women and has a "past" he won't talk about. Or perhaps Porthos is your favourite - bombastic, vain, and huge, a great lovable bear of a man based apparently on the writer's own father.
on 18 December 2010
I grew up with Classics Illustrated and once had nearly the entire collection of these wonderful comic book versions of great works of literature and popular fiction. In many cases, my enjoyment of the comics led me to seek out the original book which I probably would not have read otherwise. And I will admit to using Classics Illustrated as a handy shortcut to writing many a book report in school.

Classics Illustrated sadly ceased publication in the 1960s after producing 169 titles in its regular series, plus special issues and a junior series. Ever since then, they have been highly collectible with some of the more rare titles commanding a hefty price. Over the years, there have been a couple of attempts to revive or reprint these classic comics but these attempts ran out of steam after a short while. But this latest series by Classic Comic Store Ltd. is the best so far and looks very promising.

To date, about 25 of the more popular titles have been reproduced with the original covers and illustrations. The new issues are slightly smaller than the originals but are brightly coloured on nice quality glossy paper. And there are new up-to-date background and study notes. And best of all, they are available for a fraction of the cost of what the originals would cost today. So, unless you are a diehard collector demanding a fairly well-preserved 40 or 50 year old original, these reprints are a great way to collect these classic comics, either for a younger generation encountering them for the first time or for someone like me who finds these books extremely nostalgic.

I hope this series will be a great success and that we will eventually see some of the more obscure titles such as Soldiers Of Fortune and With Fire And Sword as well as Dumas, Dickens, Shakespeare, HG Wells, etc.
on 17 March 2018
Alexander Dumas could certainly tell a good tale, and this is no exception. The ladies are ladies; the schemers are devilishly ruthless; the musketeers are heroes who mostly use swords. Exciting, adventurous, and generally a ripping yarn, the four friends deliver exactly what you would expect of such a classical tale, as it gallops around northern France in the 17th Century.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 February 2014
I bought his book to update myself with the story now that it is a major TV series. Although the TV series is not following the story line in the book I have enjoyed the book greatly it is a great adventure and I have found myself putting off almost everything to read a few more pages. Your own imagination is allowed to run riot as you speed from one adventure to another. I have now purchased the whole box set of Musketeer adventures so many more hours of pleasure ahead!
on 30 March 2015
Just received my copy and I can confirm that it's the Peaver translation. Book looks and feels good and the Tom Gauld cover is a real treat. The Count of Montecristo is possibly my favourite book, so can't wait to get stuck in to the Three Musketeers.
on 7 December 2017
Great purchase, quick delivery very happy.
on 9 September 2013
This is the opening book in a 6 volume work detailing the lives of the musketeers from initial meeting to their deaths. The insight into the court of Louis 14th is masterful and the story is a fine mix of action and narrative with a good dash of humour thrown in, especially from the larger than life Porthos character! A true classic of its kind, well worth reading.
on 9 August 2017
Excellent swashbuckling yarn, we all enjoyed this!
on 18 September 2014
I loved the BBC TV series and although it felt a little as if it was played 'tongue in cheek' I was delighted to find this book which comprises a new, more modern translation from the original French text.

My absolute favourite character is D'Artangnan, played by Luke Pasqualino and I'm hoping the series will return for more adventures, now that I've finished reading the lengthy book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse