Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 12 May 2016
Ever since I was a little girl, I have known the story of Pride and Prejudice. Like most hot-blooded women, however, the reason that I really got in to it was because of Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr Darcy on the BBC adaption. I am not even sorry about that because if you watch the adaption you will understand why that is - the coming out of the water in the wet shirt scene, of course! When I watched this adaption I simply had to read the book.

I have to say that the book really does not disappoint. It is not necessarily everyone’s cup of tea as it is of course a romantic period drama, after all, but it is definitely worth a read as it is one of the great classics and simply must be read! Overall, I give this book 4 stars as it is enjoyable but perhaps a tiny little bit on the stale side for me, which is more than likely simply the era that the book was written in which cannot be helped.
on 14 October 2017
Re the audio book: nicely read. However, my preference is for somewhat less 'enthusiastic' voice, rising as this does to a high 'crescendo'. My own preference, to be sure, and the reading IS (in all other respects) most attractive. Perhaps I quibble. You are, of course, free to access a sample of the reader's performance and should really make up your own mind. I'll retain my copy - to add variety as I listen.
on 12 August 2015
Wow ive always wanted to read this book but put it off so many times. I'm so happy I read it people's opinions put me off reading it, thinking it's was going to be long winded and pompous but quite the opposite. I can only feel awe at Jane Austin's education in that period of time it must of been UN heard of that a woman could be so intellectual and literate. I for one, am proud of her from modern woman to a woman so far beyond her century. I only regret thinking it to oldie worldie to read. I was so wrong and on reflection I was also prejudiced to the old classics, this book I have learnt from it. No wonder they are still around and remembered when so many are forgotten.
on 21 June 2013
A Picture of Dorian Grey is about evil influences of friends, about a culture of perpetual youth and about pursuing the needs of the body over those of the heart and head.
Through his artist friend, Basil's portrait of him, Dorian learns to appreciate beauty and makes a wish that he will remain forever young and beautiful. His wish is granted but he rejects Basil's friendship because he is mesmerised by Harry's wit. Harry is a cynical serial seducer who bows to convention but deceives at will. Dorian falls in love with actress Sybil but abandons her as soon as she responds to his advances. Sybil commits suicide. Using his eternal good looks, Dorian explores all kinds of rich sensual experiences and because he looks like a celebrity he gets away with it. `Conscience is cowardice,' Harry tells him and Dorian believes this, burying his sense of responsibility for Sybil's death.
Villains are supposed to look evil and have deformities. Wilde has created an utterly shallow antihero whose appearance protects him from blame. Dorian lives out a reckless life of pleasure seeking while his `soul', Basil's portrait, safely hidden in the nursery, accumulates wrinkles and faults.
In a modern setting he'd be a boy racer with a pimped up car or a gym fanatic with steroid-boosted muscles. Basil and Sybil's family come to grief and Dorian's past eventually catches up with him.
The scenes are dramatic and the cleverly worked plot is convincing. All the characters emulate Harry's Wildean paradoxical epigrams. But Wilde narrowly avoids a confrontation between Dorian and his enemies. The final scene is played out in the nursery with the destruction of the portrait.
on 15 November 2014
My most loved and worn book in my collection with strong characters and a real sense of life back when. The romance and the jovial writing of the lesser characters fill the pages with constant ammusment. Each time you read this book you are left understanding a bit more of the real pride within the characters and the prejudice being, not seeing what is before you and looking beyond the picture infront of you. Pride is a pretectiveness of both main characters who have a sense of strength and not wanting to be what society wishes them to be or beleives them to be. The romance is charasmatic and captures you in to beleiving in them and striving for their journey to end happily.
I read this annually and adore it and hope others do to. All the litreture of jane Austen should be part of any womans library.
on 5 December 2015
What can I say. This is such a well known tale that I doubt if there are many people who haven't delved into it. I loved the BBC serialised version of this book and it was this that made me go out and buy the actual book. I wasn't disappointed and, having seen it on TV, was able to connect the people with those shown on the screen which made it come to life in a really enjoyable manner. Recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it although modern folk might find it a bit slow going in places compared to the current trend for fast paced writing.
on 10 October 2015
I thoroughly love this book; it is the very best of Jane Austin's books. Having read again and again, I never tire of it, now on kindle I have it forever. The language is a little dated but that is exactly what makes it so endearing, you need to read some parts repeatedly in order to fully understand their meaning. I think it is a highly educational book with regards to the English language.
Having this book on kindle makes it more valuable as you have a dictionary to hand, making its study more complete. Thoroughly recommended, both kindle and this book together.
on 7 August 2013
I started this novel with the intention, in all honesty, of not wanting to like it. After seeing snippets of the film adaptation I was pretty sure that this novel was not going to be one that I enjoyed.

At first I was proved right and I found it very difficult to find anything that I liked about the story. The opening quarter of the novel I found very dull. The characters were insipid in a way and I could not relate to them one jot. Even the "action" of the balls was tedious and tiresome and I thought on more than one occasion of starting something else.

However, I am glad that I persevered. After around the half way mark the story and the intrigue improves, in my opinion, ten-fold. I found myself eagerly anticipating what was going to happen next and the characters development continued at a good pace.

By the end of the novel I found that I had quite enjoyed the read. Sure, it had been tough going at the beginning but once the story began to unfurl itself it was a good read.
on 11 January 2014
I love this book! I know so much of it by heart but am always delighted to re-read it. I love the characters - there are so many great ones, from the feisty and instantly lovable heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, to the proud, obstinate, but equally adorable Mr Darcy, to silly Mrs Bennet, to the idiotic, obsequious clergyman, Mr Collins, and his patroness, Lady Catherine, and so many more; indeed virtually every character adds to the story. I love the plot, I love the dialogue, I love the comedy, I'm in love with Mr Darcy, I love that Jane and Elizabeth get their men and live happily ever after - I love everything about this book! I first read it at school as part of my English Literature course, and have re-read it many times since. I feel that I still gain something new from it on each perusal. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't already discovered it.
on 17 March 2017
I am a little ashamed to admit that I have waited until my sixtieth year before discovering the delights of reading Pride and Prejudice. However, what a joy to find it was worth waiting for. The characters are so beautifully well rounded and the humour is dry and clever. I have savoured every morsel of this feast of wit. The TV adaptation was great, the movie beautiful but do yourself a favour, give yourself a treat and read and relish the original to truly appreciate it.