on 17 April 2017
I first read Huck & Tom's adventures as a child & completely forgot about them.
Reading now as a 'mature' aged man I can better appreciate the culture, language & events better.
It is charming but also a disrespectful reminder of the past.
So when you read Jim being referred to as 'The N word', just remember, it was a reflection of the times.
I shall catch up with their further adventures in time
on 28 October 2014
I totally didn't know what to expect with this book after reading tom sawyer. but this is even better! It amazed me and surprised me about the adventures. A really good insight into what life was like back then, though author says there is no moral, it seems to have a lot of modern outlook to me, pointing out the unjust treatment of slaves, trickery of con men, strange ways of town folk, dangers of small minded villagers, and all the time centring around the innocence of boyhood, young male outlook, the inner teacher a boy can follow, the kindness and judgement he can learn to develop. OK, there is a repeated word, not used today, and offensive to people of African origin beginning with 'N', I daren't quote it here. However, it was used as in the original text and is correct in its historical usage. Be aware if passing this onto a child and decide for yourself how they may take on board or understand about this aspect in the language. but otherwise a great book. came on time.
on 17 October 2014
Ashamed to say that I had reached my 60s before actually reading the whole of Huckleberry Finn (after having read Tom Sawyer, also for the first time, and you do need to have read that first). I hadn't realised how good a story-teller Mark Twain was, and if you haven't already done so I would thoroughly recommend them to you. OK, the world is rightly more politically correct now and you have to remember the culture that Twain was writing into, but even this is something of an eye-opener on the white-black divide in Mississippi at the time, but with a good deal of humour mixed in. The story requires you to suspend reality checks to some extent; for example, Huck is totally uneducated and in his early teens, but seems to have an excellent grasp of the geography along the river; perhaps he had just hitched rides on the riverboats and kept his ears open. Unlike 'Tom Sawyer', this book is written in first-person and with phonetic spelling; you just have to read with a Deep South accent!

The loss of one star is for the Kindle version, which had an irritatingly large number of words joined together - e.g. 'I tellyouifI catchyoumeddlingwithhimagain' - which you become surprisingly quick at decoding but was a bit wearing.

If you've not read it - now's your chance.
on 11 June 2015
I really don't understand why anyone should write a retold version of Mark Twain!
(Ordered this book by mistake; I found the original one and there was 'hardcover' button on the page, so I decided it would be better to have the hardcover version and it switched me to the retold one).
Not going to bother reading, will buy the original one (read the original Mark Twain's book in e-format together with my 8-years old daughter and the language is perfect, not seeing any reason for retelling).
on 5 December 2016
I bought this as a Christmas present for my mum and I was appalled. The picture in the photo is beyond misleading, when it arrived it was blown up on the front page making it pixelated and blurry. Inside was just as bad. The original book has been photo copied and scanned onto the pages like a scrap book. This badly put together copy is embarrassing and I wouldn't give it to anyone as a present let alone my disappointed mum on Christmas. Shameful.
on 13 October 2016
I ordered this book for its beautiful artwork and colour scheme- of which I was not disapointed- however when my book arrived I found it was pretty damaged. The cover had signs of bending and was scuffed at the edges (not just at the corners) and the corners too were scuffed and bent. However, as I said, the cover artwork is beautiful and the book itself is surprisingly large and seeminly well made. Overall a very good purchase for the price that I would recommend as I was likely a one off
on 7 November 2016
Very disappointed! This edition is by some kind of amateur printing company and the quality of the print is unacceptable. Small font, thin paper, very thin cover. Chapters started at the middle or bottom of a page, I presume to save on the overall number of pages. I wanted my children to own this classic and I think I will have to buy another copy as this is really not satisfactory.
on 24 October 2015
Tom Sawyer Collection - All Four Books...
Mark Twain

An awesome classic collection for all to read.

Take a trip back in time and revel in these beautifully written classics. Twain is exceptional, ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’,
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’, ‘Tom Sawyer Abroad’ and ‘Tom Sawyer Detective’

The extras to this volume make it a collection to thoroughly enjoy.

Great extras to this classic.
on 14 February 2015
I like this book and if you are already interested in buying it then go ahead, you will not regret it and it is a great price. Saying that it was written a long time ago and sometimes the way the narrative is (slang) can be hard to understand. It was written for children apparently, so it makes me feel a little dim when I'm looking up words on my phone. Anyway, i would tell myself to buy it if i could go back in time and you will love the cheeky ways of Tom and Huck. My first Mark Twain book, and I enjoy his writing style very much.
on 13 September 2011
These are brilliant stories, great adventures as well as painting a vivid picture of life in the southern slave states. Full of witty detail and packed with a whole variety of hugely entertaining episodes. I write this just to boost the star ratings which are ridiculously low for such great books. I've just got a new Kindle and I'm starting off by downloading some old favourites. Pride and Prejudice of course had to be first. Next this.
As for the debate about language, to change the words would be to miss the whole point and distort history. To me the books give a clear message that slavery is wrong and the bad words are put into the mouths of people who would have known no other words to use. I haven't persuaded my children to read these yet but maybe they've read too many Rainbow Fairies and vampire romance books (actually I really enjoyed Twilight!) to enjoy the classics! Don't think these are boring dry books like some classics can be though, they are alive and exciting.