on 4 November 2015
For the avoidance of doubt, and confusion caused by Amazon's policy of mixing up reviews for different editions, I'm referring here to the brand new 150th anniversary deluxe edition. All earlier reviews (apart from the last one, which is sight unseen), refer to previous editions of the book.

I bought this to replace my Penguin copy of the 1970 revised version of the 1960 original, so I haven't seen the expanded versions which appeared between 1970 and 2015. It's going to take several months to read the whole book; so far I've just flipped through and dipped into a few entries, which are a lot more detailed than in the 1970 edition.

The book is beautiful - the extra colour illustrations make all the difference. If you're a Carroll fan and don't already have one of the expanded versions it's an essential addition to your library. I can't give a link here, but an online search for this edition and "review" will bring up a detailed review published in The New Yorker. You can get a good idea of what it looks like from the page photographs Amazon have included.

At least one of the pages in my copy has a mark from the printing process, but it's of minor importance and I'm not going to change it in case the next copy is worse. Also, check out the measurements of this book before buying - it's more or less square and fits very oddly onto a bookshelf!
44 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2017
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland has captured so many of our hearts and minds for so long because it's just so original. There's always more than meets the eye in Wonderland and in the story itself. Since I was a child I've loved this story, and Through The Looking Glass, as it embraces weird, it embraces difference and individuality and it gives us so many wonderful life lessons and unique perspectives, as well as humour and poetry and those unforgettable characters. This 150th edition contains the most thorough analysis of this story possible, and all the illustrations from various artists are so lovely. Like most other 20 year olds I also love Harry Potter, mainly because of the intricate world, the references, the detail and connections to our own world. The same is true for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and getting to see through Lewis/Charles' eyes at what captured his interest and went into his story is fascinating. A lot of us won't be well acquainted with what it was like in the world at the time he wrote this story, so it makes the story just come to life even more to know all the context of poetry and references. It contains the full story and John Tenniel's illustrations, but with extra, extra, extra content too! If you just want to read the story, this isn't for you really. But if you don't mind a quite big, heavy book, with annotations accompanying the story on each page, then this in depth book is perfect. I'm going to have so much fun reading it all in detail, and if you buy it, I hope you will too. (Note: my book did come with the top of the cover a little bent over, but laying it flat on its front sorted that, Otherwise perfect condition and fast delivery.)
on 27 July 2016
Utterly appalling copy. Clearly printed off the Internet. Font sizes change from page to page, constant adverts for an audio version of the book (which I suspect would be preferable), pictures which bizarrely seem to have come from a photocopied print of Robinson Crusoe and have nothing to do with Alice. Not to mention the way sentences end on a page and then don't carry on on the next one. If you want to buy somebody a joke book then buy this. You can both then laugh at the poor quality of this product. Otherwise avoid. And please don't buy this version as a present for a child. They will be gutted. And it's apparently printed by... Amazon. Well done. Poor quality all round.
on 29 May 2017
The book I received was nothing like in the description: thin, flimsy, with tiny black-and-white illustrations, more a cheap brochure than a book. Overall looked like made by lazy children in a rush and on no budget.
on 5 August 2015
Disappointing to discover that The Hunting of the Snark not only lacked its illustrations (which add considerably to the poem) but was incomplete, lacking the two final 'fits' - absolutely crucial!
on 14 December 2016
This is a review for the Japanese translation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland without illustrations; produced by Onyx Translations.

Firstly, it appears all the book reviews are placed together; regardless of who published it or in what language. Please bear that in mind.

I bought this as a gift for a friend who loved the original English version. This is an appalling translation, full of mistakes. It reads badly and is of no use for language students, wishing to improve their skills.

I do not recommend this product.
on 14 November 2016
This arrived today and I have to say that I was appalled by the product. The font is horrible (typewriter style print), the moment I opened it I felt like I was staring at a boring textbook. FYI I bought the Paperback Version. It is extremely poorly written. There are no page numbers, no indication when the first story begins, the text is just consistent from page to page.

DOT NOT BUY, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!!!!!
on 30 November 2016
Very poor. Described as "annotated" but the annotations [1], [2], etc are not linked to any notes whatsoever so you're left with an incomplete semi-draft version of Alice in Wonderland.
on 29 June 2014
Thoroughly ripped off, this edit has stripped away so much of the language of the era and dummed it down - , dont buy!
on 2 January 2017
If I could give zero stars I would. This is not what I expected from an illustrated edition. Font sizes change. Advertising the audio version throughout. Thoroughly appalling