on 9 October 2016
It's a few years and a couple of tv series and film adaptations since I last read this delightful classic. it still makes me smile. I continue to be fascinated by the wit and narrow social commentary on a way of living long gone but captured by the pen of an intelligent woman living at that time. However, she makes no mention of M D in a soaking wet shirt......
on 25 October 2014
I read this book the first time when I was doing a degree in English many years ago, in Norway, but I didn't remember that much and got more out of reading it this time. Jane Austen naturally reveals her characters' prejudices and personalitites through their chats and their actions, as well as giving a picture of society in the beginning of the 1800s. The oldfashioned language makes it a bit heavy going at first, but I got into it. Upper class girls in those days didn't have a very interesting life, all about catching a man.Fortunately there are more options these days.
on 17 May 2013
Call me a Philistine, but I found this extremely boring, uninteresting and hard to follow. It took me nearly THREE weeks to slog my way through it. Having read other reviews where people said text was missing, perhaps I have missed the vital ingredients for a 'best seller'? It may be a 'classic' but I don't think this is at all well written; (perhaps her later books were better?) Jane Austen doesn't seem to have any talent for describing her environment (perhaps because she felt that her readers knew what the places she was writing about were like) or the fashions of the day or even what people were actually like and where she had more than one person in a conversation, I found it extremely annoying and difficult to follow the thread as she never explained who was speaking! Also she would refer to `the two Miss Bennett's' i.e. Elizabeth and Jane, but then she would say, `Miss Bennett said,' without saying which one was speaking. I can see though where romance writers such as Mills and Boon got their idea from: the classic tale of boy meets girl, they hate each other, they have no end of trials, tribulations and misunderstandings; then everything falls into place. However, there is no soul or romance in Pride and Prejudice, Mr Darcy does not even hold her hand let alone declare his undying love for her - or she him!
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
I remember reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time. I stayed up all night to see what was going to happen to Elizabeth and Mr Bennet and right after finishing the book I started from the first page again. Now I've finished it for the 5th time and I know that this won't be the last.nor
I'm an Austin fan, read almost all of her books without a few exceptions (saved them for later!). I can say that even though Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park are great books, too Pride and Prejudice has some kind of special charm. It is a great love story especially if you like slow paced, not so obviously romantic love stories. One other thing I love about the book is that it is one of the most romantic stories but also it is so realistic and characters are down to earth.
on 30 July 2016
I think that this is one of the greatest love stories ever written. Each time I read it, I find some new nuance that I missed before. The characters are so well drawn that they can be clearly envisaged. Jane Austen's opinion on marriage is also fascinating, that only a marriage between people who mutually respect each other can be truly happy.
on 25 April 2015
I was inspired to read this after watching the BBC adaptation, which I truly enjoyed. And for a time I believed the two to be one and the same, but some way into the book there are differences. And also, in this, you get a sense of the temper, and mindset, which are not wholly related too well in the TV series.
This also Ives you an ending. We are treated to know what becomes of the main characters after the expression of love is given.

Another reason I read this is the language. The use of language is nothing short of brilliant.
I shall read the rest of Austen's books.
on 24 February 2013
I couldn't put this book down! So many and such diverse characters! The fortunes of the Bennet family are central to the theme, and must surely reflect the lives of people in their social station at the time. Women were so much dependent upon their fathers and their husbands for their future wellbeing. The wrong guidance in the "marriage game" could lead to a lifetime of misery or subservience. Young women, and also young men, if improperly advised either by their relatives, friends, or in fact their own senses, would seal their fate. How different it is today. Or is it? We now have the ability to divorce, which was hardly an option in the time of Pride and Prejudice, but does it make us happier than our forefathers? A fascinating book and well worth reading.
on 7 April 2014
Having only ever seen dramatised versions of Pride and Prejudice, I was very pleasantly surprised by all of the extras that are always lacking in film adaptations. I ended up with different opinions of some of the characters as well as a better knowledge of their personalities. The plot is also a lot more satisfying. It was a little slow at times, there's lots of descriptive passages that wouldn't appear in a modern novel, but overall I enjoyed reading it and would recommend to anyone with an interest in the original Regency Romance!
on 2 September 2012
"Jane Austen opens this book with a cynical commentary on the Eighteenth Century conception of the value of love - 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that a gentleman in possession of a good fortunre must be in want of a wife'!

It continues as a parody of the battle between the lower gentry of merrie England and the slightly higher toffs as they each search for love. With Elizabeth Bennett having to overcome her prejudices and Mr Darcy his pride before love and marriage can prevail. The book is full of witty and social observation that are as revelant today as they were in the 18th century. A wonderful flowing read.
on 9 January 2012
This book is one of my favourites i've read it abour 30 times plus and each time gets better and better. Austin really did know how to write books and even though she was in her late teens early twenties she had a good grasp on life and how to make it into a wonderful story. When watching the film it seems as though something is missing from it. The book is wonderful and so well written. I love the fact that Mr Dacey and Mr Bingley are involved alot more in the book than in the film. Also in the book Mr Bingley has 2 sisters only one of who is mentioned mostly and that is Caroline. She also used very appropiate names for the age for example, Jane, Elizabeth, Kitty, Anne. I love the book and i have it on paperback and i won't part with it at all.