on 14 June 2012
I'm only two discs into this set yet, so I'm making my remarks 4 star - but the signs are good.

I'm enjoying the clear diction of Jenny Agutter, and as I've been reading the first chapters along with her on CD, I can confirm that it really is word-for- word.

Audio books can take a bit of getting used to. I've listened to some where the voice of the auditor is plain wearying especially after listening to it for hours. Until you find a favourite "voice" to follow it can be a hit-and-miss choice.

So - I'll look for more of J.A's unabridged work ... both Austen, and Agutter.

Downside? It may be personal thing, but I found at first that the story is narrated at a faster clip than I would have read it myself. Of course, there is a whole book to narrate, and it's 12 discs long, already! I'm getting used to the brisker pace.
on 14 December 2014
brilliant! what more can one say?
Pride and Prejudice is probably one of the liveliest of Jane Austen's novels. It does make serious points about marrying for financial reasons - Charlotte Lucas and Mr Collins; and marrying for love - Lydia Bennett and George Wickham. Neither union is terribly satisfactory because of the people involved. There are also useful lessons about the disadvantages of both pride and prejudice in the person of Darcy and Elizabeth - both of whom grow and develop throughout the story.

The book is full of memorable characters - the prosy Mr Collins a clergyman everyone loves to hate; Lady Catherine De Burgh who is more proud even than Darcy himself. The easy going Mr Bennett who realises by the end of the book that being easy going is not always the best thing to be and his apparently silly wife who nonetheless understands a great deal about the ways of the world.

This audio edition of the book is well produced and Irene Sutcliffe's voice is perfect for it. She brings to life the various characters with just the right emphasis in the dialogue so that none of the nuances are missed by the listener. I certainly picked up things I had not noticed before when reading the text such as how very nice the Gardiners are and how much they have the best interests of their nieces at heart. Very entertaining and relaxing listening.
on 26 June 2012
Yes, I know this is free so you can't expect much from a free book but why can't we have the full text? This is my favourite classic and I was looking forward to reading the e-version but feel I have been cheated. One of my reasons for getting a Kindle was the promise of free classics and now I'm finding it be a promise with hidden terms and conditions.
I'm sure this version is great for someone who has not read the book but many of us have. I knew by the first page something was missing from this version. Just be careful which edition you download!
11 Comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2011
Five stars seems inadequate for this absolute gem. I have read it at least six times and I have listened to the BBC audio tape more times than I can count and there is always another layer, another turn of phrase I hadn't noticed. If I have had a stressful day a few chapters of this masterpiece transfers me immediately to the nineteenth century and at once I am involved again in Hartfield life.

There is not a character out of place, it has a wonderful sense of time and place and the reader is beguiled by Emma even though it has to be said she is snobbish, interfering and judgmental. Emma is blind to her destiny though a careful reader will see it signaled from the earliest chapters. In some senses, besides being both a romance and a social commentary it is an intriguing puzzle, It sparkles with wit, I love the passage where Mr John Knightley is reluctantly going out to dinner and his fears for the dullness of the evening are timeless.. who has not thought that way about an evening out, even now?
In my opinion this is Jane Austen's finest work by far, outstripping the more popular Pride and Prejudice by a mile. If you are new to Jane Austen, or indeed to nineteenth century literature, I recommend you start here. If you were force fed it at school and it was perhaps poorly taught please try it again now
on 9 April 2011
Small words and book, underestimate the language and thickness of the book yet still a classic that i love reading.
on 27 February 2015
It's hard to think of anything new to say about such a classic, but time and time again I discover something new and heartwarming in a book that is over two hundred years old.

Jane Austen creates a wealth of loveable and loathable characters in her Pride and Prejudice world, and no matter how much I laugh, I can also see the desperate humanity within each fallible creature. As I've got older, I've learnt to appreciate characteristics that I didn't care for when I was young, just proving I suppose just how deep and rich Austen literature is.

We all know the story line, so there'll be no spoilers here. Suffice to say that whenever I'm low and need a little something to cheer me up, this is one of my go tl books that never ever disappoints.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2010
In Emma Austen tried to create a heroine who no-one would like but herself - and certainly failed! Emma is charming but so convinced of her own total ability to be right that she can't help but be utterly wrong. Her growth to a fuller understanding of herself and to a new kind of maturity makes this one of the richest Austens in my view.

This also contains some of the best secondary characters ever: the wonderful, awful, touching Miss Bates; the enigmatic Jane Fairfax; the Churchills.

Less witty and somehow darker than Pride and Prejudice (witness the unthinking cruelty of Emma at Box Hill) this is almost more a coming-of-age novel than a romance - although Mr Knightley is one of my favourite heroes after Captain Wentworth.

Superb.
on 14 August 2011
This is a reworking of the timeless classic. Stunning cover which truly complements the text. The novel is a wonderful insight into social mores in Austen's England. In many ways it is a Bildungsroman as Emma becomes self aware about how to treat others and finds love along the way. My favourite Austen.
I know it is a cliché, but Pride and Prejudice is still my favourite Austen novel.
I am rereading it again just now, and I cannot help falling in love with all the main characters all over.
If I could be a literary heroine, I would undoubtedly be Elizabeth Bennet. Jane is lovely too, but maybe too good for my liking.
This book also counts with the presence of the inimitable Mr. Darcy, mysterious and attractive as not even real men can be.
And there are some secondary characters to die for. Especially Mr. Collins who, despite the fact of being pedantic and self-centred, is too stupid to be hated.
If you have never read this novel, now is the moment, and even if you have, reading it again will always be a pleasure.