on 27 September 2013
I would recommend this book for anyone researching their family history, it explains the unusual job or trade discription given in census returns or any other old document you may come across, well worth the money!
on 8 September 2011
I bought this book after reading the reviews for it here on Amazon. I've been studying my family tree online for some years now and the professions and jobs that are mentioned in Census information and other documents can be baffling.The entries are clear and concise- well,it does say it's a dictionary! The print is rather large and well spaced out so it's really easy to read,especially if you are doing a lot of studying over a long period of time. The glossy paper is of a high quality and makes using the book a real pleasure. The many contemporary photos,woodcarvings and illustrations bring a flavour of the history involved. As well as being useful for looking up particular entries,it's also very interesting to read through random pages and find jobs that you didn't think even had names (look up Bater and Courage Bater to see what I mean!)
I'm really glad that I bought this as it's made so much of my study a lot easier.
This book has given me a spur to continue my studies after leaving it for a while. So,as it's encouraged me to get more out of my Genealogy subscriptions,it's well worth it's price!
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in either Genealogy or Social History.
on 31 December 2006
This larger 2nd edition is fast becoming the researchers "old occupations 'bible'". Its a number one choice for researchers of old occupations whether for academic purposes or for family research. Its also succint and extremely interesting to read. Every historian should have it on their book-shelf"
on 23 April 2010
While doing research on the history of trades, I discovered the existence of this wonderful book which is apparently quite unknown here in the States.

The "Dictionary" is a wonderful lexicon of all sorts of titles and names that have largely lost their currency in America and Britain. It's not only been useful for looking up particular terms, but I find it innately fascinating to just thumb through while enjoying a cup of coffee.

If you have any kind of interest in the history of life for the common man -- or, certainly, if you're doing genealogy research -- you might very well find this book to be an essential reference, as a code book for deciphering antiquated references to trades or social status, in the last two or three centuries.
on 15 November 2008
I have found this book extremely useful whilst researching my family history. Very comprehensive and clearly written.
on 20 January 2013
I have the 2000 edition in paperback, and I have found it invaluable for a better understanding of the trades of many of my ancestors. I wish I could say I have found an "oenepola" (wine merchant) in my family, or an ancestor who was a "prestidigitator" (stage magician) or even a "preventative man" (a Customs official!), but so far I have not. However, I do have many ancestors who were "wire workers", which means they made the wire frames for funeral wreaths, but unfortunately this occupation was not in the Dictionary, which is why I haven't given it the full 5 stars.
on 29 May 2010
On receiving this book, my first reaction was to hunt through it for an unusual trade name and then search the net for a meaning. Nothing came up!
My second reaction was to ask others if they had a trade description for which they had found no satisfying explanation. Although I did not find an EXACT description, there was sufficient information available in the book to make logical deductions.
It is well set out, easy to comprehend and will be an invaluable resource at times when I come across wording and "occupations" that are no longer in use today.
on 1 April 2016
A handy aid when interpreting documents for family history. It is a dictionary so gives just a brief explanation of each trade. You will need to look at other sources if you want to know more. Unfortunately, it is not particularly comprehensive. When I first used the book I looked for three trades from the 1800s and was disappointed to find none of them were mentioned.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2011
My husband is a Family History adict. This dictionary has enabled him to understand many of the trades and occupations listed on old birth, marriage and death certificates. Invaluable!A Dictionary of Old Trades, Titles and Occupations (Reference)
on 20 June 2014
When I amresearching my family history I often come across trades that I have not heard of so thisbook has proved very useful. Interesting to just read..