Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2013
Reading it took my straight back to the school playground and some other interesting places I remember when growing up in the area. I live in Berlin Germany now and when I showed it to some of my friends here, they did not have a clue as to what any of it meant. It was very funny to see their reaction.
on 8 September 2003
Being brought up in a mining community on the Notts/Derbys border its refreshing to read my heritage in print......indeed one thing that Thatcher couldn't destroy. A wonderful little book with words and phrases I had not heard since childhood. With the advent of political regionalisation these sort of books ought to be a must in educational establishments to remind children the origins of their fathers, mothers and grandparents dialect. The sort of book you hold for life.
on 16 May 2003
The main thing I have left from growing up in Heanor in South
derbyshire is my (some would say broad) local accent.
This book is a wonderfully humorous and affectionate look at
something I hold dear, and has some surprisingly scholarly
discussions of the local drawl next to the funnies.
A must for those who like me no longer live in the area for
when you feel homesick, also just about passes muster as a translation guide :-)
any road tat tar mi ducks SEIVE THEE
on 16 January 2009
I hadn't seen this book since I was a teenager but have recently come in for some stick for my accent by some other expats here in Spain (I do produce entire classes of Derbyshire-sounding Spanish kids in school). I have no intention of changing and this book has helped me remember how I should be speaking instead of ah sum mardy suthner thinks I should speak. Works as a dictionary too. A linguistic classic.
on 19 November 2009
I was born and brought up in Ilson in the 1950's, now living in Wales, and this little gem brought back so many wonderful happy memories of my childhood. Most of my family are sadly not around anymore, but this book reminded me so much of uncles, aunts, and my mum , who all spoke with the old dialect. Even at the age of 60, and having lived in Wales for 40 years, there are still phrases I use that are to be found in this book.
on 6 August 2001
If you're mystified by the meaning of words like "jitty" and "sucker", and if you're not sure whether you're being insulted or complimented when you're called "bonny" or told that your tea tastes like "mazziwatter", then you need this book.
"Ey up Mi Duck" is a short book of definitions of Derbyshire dialect words, especially as used in the south Derbyshire town of Ilkeston.
on 4 May 2012
The Erewash and Amber Valleys have lost a lot of their distinctive features over the years, most recently with the closure of Stanton Ironworks, so it`s good to see something of local culture preserved.

One thing I would say though, it may be worth seeking out the three original paperback volumes of Ey Up Mi Duck, which were privately published by the authors, or the later reprints from a firm called Hargood, as these contain a bit on Derbyshire customs, folklore and history which is worth a look.These are also available on Amazon.

Having said that, the Notts/Derbyshire border has much to offer (the industrial heritage, the canals, the countryside) which the outside world is too often unaware of, so I welcome anything which raises it`s profile.
on 9 July 2013
This book is really interesting - it offered insight into the odd sayings you hear around the county and region. I also finally understand where my parents get some of their vocabulary from!

The book loses 2 stars from me in the main because of its shocking layout. For saying this has been republished and revised since its original publication, some consideration could have been given to the incredibly bad way it's put together. This is to the point where it's actually quite hard to navigate and read.

Still, if you can get past that then it's a thoroughly entertaining read!
on 27 October 2011
Another nostalgic offering for folks who have left their native South Derbyshire and the Erewash Valley. Will this language survive? Probably not, so this book is important.
on 8 February 2013
I purchased this book as a gift to my son, as we have a duck joke thing between us, both he and myself found this book interesting.