on 12 August 2008
Social stories are an invaluable tool for explaining social situations, rules and conventions to an ASD child. However, this book does not do the subject justice. In my opinion this book does not explain the concept of social stories clearly, nor does it make it clear how a story may be written and tailored to the needs of an individual child. This book may of course be aimed at childcare professionals but as a parent I found the following book much more helpful and most importantly useable: Writing and Developing Social Stories: Practical Interventions In Autism by Caroline Smith (also available on Amazon).
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 June 2013
A perfect handbook for use when working with children who have Autism. I have used the book as essential reading for students who want to work with children who have special needs. It is not only been a good tool for children with Autism but works equally well with any child who has difficulties in social situations.
on 5 December 2009
I bought this book on recommendation when my child was first diagnosed as having aspergers. He enjoyed looking through it with my. It has given me useful pointers in helping him understand certain situations. It is very simplistic possibly too much so for my situation. I would recommend as a useful tool for helping you help your child deal with difficult situations
on 24 May 2015
My 6 year old Grandaugther is Autistic, although she goes to normal school she does have difficulties with social skills. We have just started making up social stories for her and this book will give us more ideas.
on 18 January 2017
Suberb choice for my son who has sensory issues.
on 10 October 2017
A+++++++++++
on 8 March 2014
I have used this book at school with a boy I work with and it has helped him make sense of the world around him. Lots of my colleagues who also work with children with special educational needs have also used it and said it has really helped them.
on 13 August 2014
An excellent resource to use as a starting point to write personalised social stories for individual children with ASD. Good for training staff and parents as well. Highly recommended.
on 5 May 2016
I work 1-1 with a child with autism this was very basic
on 31 October 2013
a really useful book even for children not on the spectrum as has different stories on how to share and what is a friend.