Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 May 2017
Really good book packed with useful information & tips.
on 1 September 2006
I'm afraid I have to quite disagree with the previous foster carer who suggested that this book is only useful for those children who have been sexually abused. This is a wonderful book, easy to read, hands-on and parent-friendly. It's intelligently written and backed up with careful research. I cannot recommend it more highly for any adoptive or foster parent. It's a sad fact that today, nearly all children adopted have been through the care system with complex and traumatic histories - they're rarely babies these days. Caroline really understands this and the shock it is to the many parents who are ill-prepared for the pain their child is in.
on 28 March 2007
I agree with the 2nd review i 1st borrowed this book from the library as we are looking into adopting a toddler, and i have to say that this book is fantastic and i am now going to buy it from amazon !It is full of practical advice alot of it is common sense but sometimes when you're in a situation you can't always think of the most straight forward solution, and this book gives lots & lots of great advice.
on 14 December 2011
A good book for adoptive parents with many helpful points to help deal with attachments issues and easy to read. Can appear a little negative at the start but don't let this put you off. Great to keep as a reference book for future use.
on 11 April 2008
We were also asked to read this as part of adoption assessment. There's no doubt that there's a lot of useful information, particularly for children who have suffered a particularly rough start in life and anything that helps them is to be supported. However the bit I didn't like was constantly suggesting an approach and then saying (in bold) BUT DON'T DO THIS IF.. I would have found it more helpful to have chapters split out for children who have been subject to different types of abuse or neglect before being adopted or fostered as at least you could read a whole section that might be more appropriate to your child.
Some of the suggestions I just found very odd - e.g putting honey on child's mouth and then licking it off yourself or letting your child streak in the rain? I understand what the author is trying to achieve but I found it a bit off-beat for me.
on 18 September 2012
An excellent way of increasing your knowledge and awareness on this subject. Easy to get into from start to end.
on 14 February 2014
Received purchase quickly and condition of book very good. Useful practical and emotional tips for preparing for reciving a child through Fostering or Adoption
on 25 November 2014
A great book by an insightful author. I found it very useful and confidence building to read. My only criticism was that I felt it flipped about a bit between topics., but I guess life isn't always as structured as I might imagine, and it didn't make the book any less valuable to read. The great thing about his book is that it is easy to read and can be read in bite sized chunks. Recommended to anyone who is about to take on children who may have experienced difficulties in their past.
on 5 February 2002
I am fostering a bereaved child, and whilst I found some of the advice helpful, I found the book concentrated upon children who had been sexually abused. It would be useful to potential foster carers or adoptive parents of such children.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2014
Reading this book as part of adoption preparation. I have to say although it has some good common sense ideas it is difficult to read and contradicts itself. I will keep it as I may find it helpful as times goes on, you never know!