on 31 May 2001
I don't think I'm the only person to have fallen in love with Death, who is certainly Neil Gaiman's most popular and possibly his most original character, and while he himself may not consider this his best work, any story that gives us more of her can only be a good thing. 'The Time of Your Life' may not quite be the transcendental, life-affirming experience that the first Death outing ('The High Cost of Living') was, it's message and philosophy, as well as character development, are more focused. Death herself plays a fairly minor role, with the relationship between the two real leads, Hazel and Foxglove, being plausibly and sympathetically explored. This means that we get less of Death's profound and amusing soundbites, and have to make do for the most part with the sight of her (very pretty) face, but given the quality of the rest of the writing, this isn't as bad as it might sound. Before you read this, you should probably have got through most of the Sandman series (or at least the 'A Game of You' storyline), and the previous Death book.
on 21 April 2012
The second mini-series for Death of the Endless is a full colour exploration of life, love, identity and loss. Unlike the previous collection, Death: the high cost of living (1993), this one more closely mirrors the Sandman style of storytelling. Death exists in the background until the story is ready for her to enter; when she appears it's as a catalyst for change (like her Tarot attribution) and not as a principal player. Quite often those kinds of stories are what Gaiman does best. She has her usual sentimental but focussed on duty attitude. Gaiman has lived with her in his head for years so he knows how to write for the character.

The two main characters were first seen in The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House (New Edition) (1990), so if you have read that you will be able to attribute extra back-story. This story is less adventurous than The High Cost of Living but is more sympathetic and emotional, and certainly more rewarding for the reader. It's initially slow to unravel but by the end has blossomed into a celebration of the beauty and tragedy that can arise from following your heart.

The book collects together Death: The Time of Your Life issues 1 - 3
on 19 August 2007
I absolutely adored this book! I was a bit apprehensive about buying it at first because I'd heard all the usual whinings about "oh, but this hardly has Death in it at all!", but I read it and it was another stroke of brilliance from Neil Gaiman. Admittedly it doesn't feature Death as much as 'The High Cost Of Living' does, but it does feature Hazel and Foxglove, who are my favourite humans in the whole series. In this book we see a side to Death that hasn't come up much in the main series- instead of being her usual optimistic self, she seems to actually be sad at the thought of having to take the life of someone who was once a friend. 'The Time Of Your Life' is darker than 'The High Cost Of Living', but this only adds to its absolute amazingness. And any book that shows a buddhist underwear model, a lesbian rock star and her bodyguard sailing to the border of Death's realm in a huge floating umberella has to be worth a read!
on 19 August 2003
Wow, I mean wow. I never knew of Death, the Sandman or any of the Endless before I read this book, thanks to this piece of work I can now proudly say "IM A FAN OF THE SANDMAN AND THE SPIN-OFF BOOKS BY GUM".
Thank you Neil Gaiman for opening my eyes to this and all your other works.
BTW: Death is such a babe
on 22 February 2004
I've read a fair few graphic novels and read Neil Gaiman's work in particular. I have to say that this is THE BEST I've ever read. Witchy gothic lesbian rock chic, oh yeah! I got the book out of the library to read and now I'm ordering it on Amazon because I don't want to let it go. Oooh it's good.
on 11 November 2000
This is one the most compelling pieces of 'literature' if you wish to call it that, that I have ever read. The ever there Death and...the ever there question of mortallity and life. If not then, then why?