on 31 March 2017
good
on 26 October 2007
My Dad got me this book for Christmas in 1996, and it's now a very battered looking book, sitting on my bookshelf at home. I've read it so many times, and it one of the best used and most loved book in my house. Despite now being 11 years old its still a very good book to have. The techniques used and exsplained in this book still hold true, even if more people are going digital these days. The imagery in this book is still awe inspiring, and it is cram packed full of them.

If you don't already own this book, buy it, now.
on 5 June 2008
I too have owned this book for ages and its looking fairly bashed as well! I have found it to be the best piece of art reference material I've ever bought. It contains a bit of everything and was one of the main reasons why I went to college to study illustration.

Despite having been published quite a while ago I have to admit that I havent found anything that has been published since that is as comprehensive, easy to read and follow, not to mention as nicely illustrated!

It would be nice to see an updated version too (possibly in a larger format)

If you are interested in fantasy art techniques I would highly recommend this book!
on 21 October 2011
Great book, excellent pictorial at a good price. Good for fantasy artists learning the ropes,with easy to understand naratives. Will be buying other books in the series
on 10 October 2014
loved the all the artwork helped me to see a great deal of what authors have in mind.
on 28 October 2015
A fabulous resource with many ideas. Shame it is not available in UK.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse