on 12 February 2017
I feel like my review is going to be redundant here. Many other reviewers have pretty much covered the general sentiment towards this book, which I happen to agree with, more or less.

This is reported to be one of the least favored installments in the Sandman series, and it could be because the Dream Lord barely makes an appearance, or because the story does not revolve around him, or maybe even because people simply don't really care for Barbie - whom this whole tale was basically about. Whatever the reason(s) may be, I liked it. I tend to take each Sandman tale in isolation, a book with its own set of characters, themes and storylines - that somehow, someway, end up being linked. That way, I am never really disappointed about the progress of the story or whether I feel it's moving fast enough, or whether I think Neil Gaiman is digressing from the main plot or whatever. Just enjoy each book as it comes, on its own.

This one revolves around Barbie. We meet Barbie in The Doll's House, when she was one of Rose Walker's housemates. She is now in New York City, and has obviously been through a lot as she goes through life jaded and disinterested in her surroundings. She has been unable to dream, and the dream world she used to visit has been taken over by evil forces, killing the animals and creatures that loved her and have been waiting for her return. One of them succeeds in jumping to her realm, in order to convince her to come back with him and save them all.

She does...and this takes us on a journey and adventure that I thoroughly enjoyed reading about. I loved the twist near the end, and thought the series of events that took place were exciting and fascinating.

I now have 4 more books to reach the end of this brilliant series.
on 9 August 2015
As ever with sandman, every volume (pretty much so far) is its own story, this time about a young womans distrubing dream world, the sandman takes a backseat and swoops in at the end to sort s*** out as always, but its still very interesting and well written.
on 18 July 2013
If you've got to this point, you're obviously familiar with Gaiman's Sandman comics. Anyway, the image Amazon have here is wrong; the customer image is, however, correct. This is the new edition, from 2011, with the cover/font in line with the rest. I took a punt because I had some vouchers, but was worried that it'd stick out like a sore thumb when I ordered it, but thankfully the right one turned up.

Great comic/silly Amazon.
on 30 September 2016
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 3 June 2015
OK
One person found this helpful
on 3 February 2018
Masterpiece
on 13 May 2016
Just what my granddaughter wanted and speedy service.
on 24 September 2013
At first I found the concept of this tale a little odd but as I progressed I became really engrossed in the new world made for this story and all its characters. The entire thing was nicely bittersweet and left me once again looking forward to the next novel.
on 21 May 2015
I missed this series of comic's the first time around. To read them now feels like discovering treasure. Amazing in every respect.
on 6 June 2013
Perfecto!!!!! Transported to many different lands, worlds and spaces. Gaiman does it every time. The master of pure and evocative fantasy.