on 3 July 2017
Whilst some of the 45 walks described can be followed and are interesting, you get the impression that insufficient research has been carried out or the author has missed obvious paths that provide better (in my opinion) routes. For example walks 12, 13 & 42 encircle Mt.Tamadaba but non of the paths to top are mentioned, on walk 29 from Cruz Grande to Ayacata, you reach a five way path junction (Degollada de los Hornos) unnamed in the book but only three of the paths mentioned - the route ahead described goes on to follow a road, whilst the left hand path unmentioned, goes via El Montañon with views to Tenerife to join the described route at the end of its road section.
The book describes walks covering many parts of the island so it is unlikely that you would be able to cover than a handful of the walks in one visit, there are some suggestions to link walks together but non on unsubscribed alternatives. The book is useful but is becoming increasingly out of date as new paths are made, the GR131 described looks like its not going happen and a new long distant route from Maspalomas is on its way.
In my view the Rother Walking guide Gran Canaria: Rother Walking Guide provides better value although it misses out whole areas of Gran Canaria but most useful item is Gran Canaria Tour & Trail Super-Durable Map (3rd ed)
on 12 March 2014
Some of the route descriptions lack clear directions of reaching the start - essential information before you can get going. The style of walk descriptions is at times rather terse as if you are on a route-march instead of doing it for pleasure.

My biggest disappointments were the maps which are not detailed enough. I would recommend 'Gran Canaria Tour & Trail Super-Durable Map' from the reliable and accurate publishers, Discovery Walking Guides Ltd. Unfortunately they don't have a walks book at present though their Tour & Trail Map includes a good number of clear and up to date walking trails.
on 21 January 2014
I visited Gran Canaria in January and the time was ideal for long walks in the mountains. Not too hot, some very cool days but with appropriate clothing there were no problems. When the clouds were low, it was easy to pick lower routes. I used to book for both selecting routes and navigating on them. There were no problems and the instructions were easy to follow. In one case did I select a wrong downhill route (in rather bad shape) about which there was no warning but otherwise it was fine. The Camino Real to Maspalomas from San Bartolome is, as the author says, not yet ready, so he gives just the highway route which is not for walking: (too many cars and lots of bicyclists). With the map one can find a much better footpath route, so a good map is very useful!
In any case I warmly recommend this guide. It keeps the good Cicerone standard.
on 23 November 2015
Maps are far too breif to do any serious navigation. No terrain information and just thumbnail.
We got seriously lost on an easy walk from Las Palmas.
on 9 December 2013
The individual maps for each walk are excellent, as were the directions. The only addition I would like, and be willing to pay for, would be an overall map, to show all the routes and their interconnections.
on 12 January 2015
The routes are nicely written and I think its a good book if you intend to exclusively follow the walks as described. But there are a lot of other paths and roads crossing those. The maps are also consentrated on the routes and difficult to use for other purposes. Since my goal for the trip was to both walk on and off "the trodden path" I met some difficulties.
on 28 February 2016
The guide has some nice walks, but I am missing some good maps. Also an index with "which walks do I find around this place" would improve the guide.
on 21 January 2017
This guide provided us with great walks across the entire island. It works very well indeed in conjunction with the map I bought.
on 29 March 2014
We bought this before we went to Gran Canaria and did some walks from the book. All of them were great, every one of them different. We have great experience with these books, it is very well described! If you want to do walks, u must have it!
on 28 August 2014
Excellent book. Good route descriptions and adequate mapping. My only concern is that most of the routes are linear whereas I expected more circular routes.