Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2011
I am a seasoned lake district fellwalker and would like to thoroughly recommend this book and the others in the series (so far) as the best updated guides to the Lakeland mountains that you can get.

Although A Wainwrights original guides are unquestionably the best, many features have changed in the 50 years since they were published (AW himself acknowledged this would happen). If you are looking for a book that compliments these guides with updated information , in my opinion these are the best guides you can currently buy. There is much information on each individual fell including where to park and alternative , quieter routes as well as some great colour photos and witty dscriptive writing. The maps and route descrptions are clear and easy to read/follow (so far!). Mark Richards has clearly explored the fell sides and paths thoroughly in researching these guides.

The main rival to these books are of course the Wainwright guides updated by Chris Jesty , however after hearing that CJ has not checked every route (even admitting to a rather bemused looking Julia Bradbury that he would not climb Sharp Edge) , I lost my confidence in these guides and will only buy them should my old guides get destroyed or lost. This is just my opinion though - yet even if you don't agree with it(or don't know what I'm talking about)I am sure you will still highly enjoy reading these guides - either by the fireside of the fellside as they say!
on 14 August 2011
Like the book which clearly conveys the author's love of the fells. Very much aimed at the walker who likes to make up their own routes over the fells and therefore perhaps not suitable for the casual walker who wants to be told exactly where to go.
If however you have the classic Wainwright guides to Lakeland, perhaps not all much point in buying any of this series as they will not not add significantly to your knowledge base.
Where it scores over the original Wainwrights is that the info is up to date and it uses extracts from Harvey's maps (which in my opinion are the best hillwalking maps available).
The photos are good and provide some different perspectives on the fells.
on 9 August 2011
These guides have been improved immeasurably by the new publisher Cicerone Press. They show detailed knowledge of routes and have interesting background info on place names etc. The panoramas of the views surpass those of AW.Many good photos too. I don't think that in 2011 there are better guides to the Lakeland fells.
on 14 August 2016
Excellent guide to the fells west of Derwent Water (Catbells, Grisedale Pike, Robinson, etc)

Clear maps, multiple routes for each fell, inspiring photos, very practical.

The best book I have found so far for someone wanting to explore new mountains
on 5 December 2015
Useful and good detail for planning walks but be advised, all the information relates to fells, i.e. their ascent. Guide contains lots of pictures and sketches and, as such, is a great planning tool for the keen fells' walker.
on 2 February 2013
I will confess that these guides are used by me at the fireside rather than fellside. my excuse being so far from Lakeland.

on the occasions I have used them for real, they have proved clear and accurate. the writing style is informal and shows a love of yhe fells by the author, who by the way, is a very nice chap; I bumped into him one day and he kindly agreed to sign yhe guide I had with me.

Clearly there will always be the AW books to treasure, but these include much information for todays walker that AW just couldnt have done.

They make me long to walk the hills again!
on 5 May 2013
I now routinely carry my kindle on the hill with all of Mark Richards guides loaded. Very easy to access and no issues with battery life even when camping a few nights.
Only grumble is the reproduction and inability to scale the diagrams which loses some of the detail.
on 21 January 2014
Great series of books of mountains etc to walk in the Lake District. Good text and 3D diagrams (like Wainwright), but with the added bonus of OS map extracts, photographs and lots of colour.
on 31 January 2014
Beautiful book and extremely well written and comprehensive, easily ranks alongside such great books as Wainwright Guides, I would recommend them to anyone.
on 28 December 2011
Great product, bought as a Christmas gift, received promptly and well packaged. Part of a series and my husband has been very happy with this addition. Well worth purchasing if you are a walker and love the lake district.