on 27 October 2013
When I got the book, had the opportunity to preview it extensively, and still went ahead and bought it.
Its great and discusses what it says in the title. There's an amount of discussion on food as energy and what different people (or circumstances) need as well as set up options prior to the 'feasts' themselves start. From then on, its sensible recipes with great tips. Mostly one pot meals as you'd expect for practicality reasons plus a couple of best-cooked-at-home like flapjacks.
on 24 November 2013
I got this book to show to the young people doing DofE with us that you dont need to eat pot noodle and that healthy and nutritious foods can be made using a humble stove in the wind and rain! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really looking forwards to making that toad in the hole! Looks amazing!
on 13 June 2011
This book was better than I'd hoped. It covers every aspect of cooking outdoors that I could think of, equipement, nutrition, safety, variety, food types, storage/transport, quick snacks and sumptious feasts.... Everything I needed to know. Plus copious photos relating to every aspect of enjoying food outdoors. My congratulations to the author!
on 13 October 2013
i found this a great help when i was short of ideas when camping, highly recommend to friends and famly
on 11 January 2014
Highly recommend if you enjoy camping. Be it cycle touring, hiking or wild camping. Full of useful ideas and interesting nutritional information at the beginning.
on 8 May 2014
Even seasoned campers will find some ideas in this book. I bought it for a friend who is just starting camping after receiving this myself for Christmas... its full of useful information and recipe ideas
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 April 2009
Even as I was buying this book, I was thinking that it was an impulse buy which I'd never actually use. I was very wrong. It is an excellent book. I often lie in bed at night dipping into it, thinking about what I might cook on my next camping trip. So...

Useful. It is packed with practical advice abouit all aspects of outdoor eating, the nutritional values of different foods, the equipment to take and of course the delicious recipes. I particulraly like the lists, for example the lists of equipment to take, and the lists of baic ingredients to have on hand.

Interesting. Pros and cons of different stoves. Energy consumption during different types of exercise. The book is packed with enough facts to keep all but the most extreme nerds fascinated.

Inspiring. No more will I just rely on tins of beans with vegetarian suasages or packets of soup. As well as improving my outdoor diet it'll inspire me to camp more.

To sum up, if you do any form of outdoor activity which includes camping and eating, this is a very highly recommended book.
on 12 July 2009
I borrowed this and several similar books from the library to decide which was the best before purchasing it.

This book is fascinating... presents biology in an interesting and practical way... finally making sense of all those biology classes at school! It presents energy requirements, healthy eating etc in an easy to understand and relevant way, before giving advice on choosing stoves and the basic items that should be in every camp kitchen and store cupboard.

Finally the recipe section covers everything from 'Cowboy Feast' to nutroast to banoffee pie.

I know I will get so much use from this book.
on 11 August 2010
I've had this book on my wishlist for ages. I finally bought it for myself and have found it to be well written, easy to follow and full of good advice. I've not yet had a chance to try the recipes that fill the second half of the book yet, but reading them makes me eager to go camping. If you've bought the cool camping cookbook and been disappointed like I was at the impractical recipes then you should be impressed at the huge number of well categorised, practical recipes chosen with people interested in outdoors pursuits in mind. Having said that I'm certain it would cater adequately for people more interested in a relaxing camping holiday.

Brilliant book, very impressed, makes me enthusiastic to test the advice within.
on 12 August 2010
The only way this book could be improved is the addition of spiral binding!

The section on cooking at altitude is extremely useful and interesting. I am planning an expotition at high altiutde in the next few months and this will help me not be frustrated at things not seeming to cook properly - and perhaps explains my poor experiences of beanfeasts in the past.

As well as a multitude of scrummy recipes for a range of camping situations, it was really interesting to learn about the science of nutrition. It never occurred to me that I could dehydrate my own food at home. I am delighted to be introduced to this concept and look forward to many happy evenings sucking moisture away.

Great recipes, great info, great pics - buy this book!