on 1 May 2009
Before giving this book a five-star rating, I tried to find fault with it. I could not. It is just what I need.

Clearly and precisely, with plenty of illustrations from Ordnance Survey maps, the book teaches the skills of navigating with a map and compass, including more advanced techniques such as aiming off and using back bearings, and then shows how a GPS can be used to make navigation more effective, whether or not you have a mapping receiver. If you do have one, a chapter on mapping software shows how your GPS can communicate with your computer. Finally, it teaches you how to get out of trouble -- even if your batteries go flat or the Americans switch the satellites off.

The book is small and light enough to fit into a rucksack and has a plastic cover which should help to protect it from the elements. It also comes with a bonus: a transparent plastic "navigation aid" on which is a compass rose, a couple of romer scales, and a list of things to do if your GPS fails .

Highly recommended.
on 12 February 2012
Bought this at the same time as the Landranger GPS guide, and although it is adequate (& cheap) it is really not a patch on the Landranger manual. OK as a supplement, but for a complete beginner like myself it would not have been sufficient on its own to give me a good basis for learning how to use my new Etrex properly.
on 6 July 2010
I bought this book as a companion to a Garmin Etrex H that I had just bought. It covers the essentials and also gives you the basics of compass navigation, which I found very intesting. It brought back memories of map reading lessons in O Level Geography!

The book is quite small in size, about 16x10cm, which was a bit of a let down for me. Although it will fit in a rucksack without any problems I would not give much for trying to read it by the light of a torch on a windswept hillside, especially with ageing eyes... The moral is read it and understand it - before you need it.

Ted
on 4 July 2015
Having bought a GPS (Garmin eTrex 20) to help me avoid getting lost in unfamiliar places - a result of getting lost in Sienna, when trying to make the rendezvous for my coach party- I needed to learn to use it .. The Garmin manual being to my mind useless as a guide (though their free programme Base Camp is excellent) I looked for an instruction book and chanced upon this little book, it has told me all and more that I need to know, Not only does it give fullest instructions for using a GPS but gives full details of basic map and compass navigating but also includes a Romer scale to assist with bearings and grid references. My only very slight reservation is that the print is rather small (though very clear) which at my age makes good light necessary to read it in comfort. Highly Recommended
on 21 June 2015
While the book is informative, the author tends to lean towards map & compass all the time and makes his views well known. While info can be gleamed from this book on the use of GPS there are others out there that are more instructional with how to guides and better set up instructions. See Ultimate Navigation Manual by "Lyle Brotherton"
on 28 March 2010
This is a great introduction for anyone (like me) who is unfamiliar with using a gps device. It also gives useful tips on map reading and navigational skills. It is very basic and very clear. It was just what I neeed to get me going with my gps.
on 6 June 2014
nice and easy to understand its a shame the device I brought was not [GARMIN DAKOTA 10 } thank you
on 16 November 2014
Lovely little book, very neat. Would be nice if it was updated to the most modern GPS
on 25 May 2015
EXCELLLENT BOOK VERY INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL FOR THE .NOVICE
on 5 July 2014
Very easy to use and instructive