on 18 March 2006
This is a superb book that contains all of the relevant material to ensure you have the best possible chance of reaching the summit of Kili. Tailored so as to be useful to experienced trekkers and those new to the pursuit, this book was invaluable on our trip. Packed with pre-departure tips and advice it ensured that we left fully prepared and aware of what awaited us. Useful information regarding each of the routes and contact details of agencies in the UK and Tanzania mean you can book in advance and do so safely. Once on the mountain the day-by-day descriptions of the routes are clear and concise and the mapping provided is excellent. Although we trekked the fairly frequently walked Machame Route, the book also contains detailled descriptions of the most often used path, the Marangu Route, as well as all of the less well known alternative routes. Background sections on Kilimanjaro's history, development and flora and fauna helped to bring our trip vividly to life as we tackled the ascent and provided a genuinely broad appreciation of the mountain. Colourful asides relating to the early pioneers who raced to be first to the top and their traumas put our own struggles in perspective and provided excellent inspiration. All in all, a superb overview and an essential piece of kit during our climb. You can't ask for anything more, so don't leave home without it!
on 6 October 2013
I've not finished reading so might upgrade the rating if I come across useful insights. It's a small pocket format which I liked and will plan to take and plan to finish reading on the flight out. The photographs are very interesting as are the details around the routes. I skipped all the details on flights which seemed out of date anyway. The moon charts were out of date as well only listed for 3 years. It would have been more helpful to provide a link to the source data as a reference.
on 12 September 2014
Excellent book to use in the planning of a trip to Kilimanjaro
on 18 December 2009
I was looking for a small reference book for my daughter who is travelling to Kilimanjaro next year. The book is excellent and full of good advice. It also gives lots of cultural background information which she'll find useful on her trip. Its small enough to take along on the trip and I think its an excellent buy.
on 5 February 2006
As a lifetime trekker in his fifties who regularly uses Cicerone Guides here in Britain I was expecting great things of the Cicerone Guide to Kilimanjaro but as a friend warned me as soon as Cicerone moves away from its native shores the standards seem to drop. At the end of reading I had learnt nothing practical that I hadn't already been told about from my tour company and as a Scot I wish I hadn't spent fifteen pounds on it! I now know THAT IT'S NOT ESSENTIAL THAT YOU NEED A BOOK but if you want to get one look for something better than this.Come on Cicerone you can do better!
on 15 May 2013
bought this book as a gift for my brother. On a recent hospital stay read the entire book and started planning his trip to Kilimanjaro! Found it very informative
on 24 December 2013
Although i bought the book as a present,i did flick through it!!. And thought what a wonderful book if i was doing such an adventure,which the recipient is. He's an inspiration to one & all & to know that my book will be accompanying him,a small part of me will be there too. 95% of any journey is preparation & the author spell out in plain English everything necessary for a safe hassle free trip. Would recommend for anyone doing a similar adventure!!. (Hope you're listening Bilbo!!)
on 25 December 2005
I have several different books on Kilimanjaro and this has to be the best. Alex Stewart covers everything you will ever want to know about getting up this mountain along with the flora, fauna, history, facts and is honest about what dangers there are or can be. This is the copy I will use for my next trip there because there is no better book
on 31 January 2014
This book was a perfect Christmas present for someone who is planning a Kilimanjaro trip - so much information and tips and just the right size for taking whilst travelling. Very highly recommended.
on 22 May 2015