Customer reviews

on 23 July 2017
Informative book with stunning quotes, tips and pictures for dancers of all ages. Even includes recipes as well as information about elements of the eatwell plate etc. Such a good buy!!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 August 2017
As a parent if a dancer I love this book for seeing what my daughter should be eating. Has really improved her diet over the last year and she's got interested in what is best for her and just how much a dancer needs to be eating. You can also work out how many calories are needed compared to how much dancing and what kind you are doing. Brilliant.
on 28 September 2015
I have a teenage dancer and was concerned about the potential for eating disorder pitfalls, so I bought her this book. It has proved to be an excellent purchase as she really heeds the sound advice in it because it is from an expert (not just her mum!). It has really encouraged her to eat a good diet.
on 4 March 2017
Well-written, informative and easy to read. Plenty of good advice. However, there is very little mention of (refined) sugar intake, which is a gaping hole in the otherwise comprehensive content. Also the emphasis on avoiding eating fat may be a little inconsistent with latest advice (the field of nutrition is relatively new and fast-changing!) - current guidance on weight-loss nutrition focuses much less on eating "low-fat" foods (although of course any imbalanced over-consumption of fats is still bad!).

I agree with other readers that it is still a good read for those of us who are not pro dancers. People's preference for physical attributes changes over time (at certain points in history women tried hard to be fat in order to be attractive!), so the important thing is for dancers (and the rest of us) to be eating healthily so that one's diet is "fit for purpose" in supporting our daily activities, rather than necessarily reach certain weight targets. To that end this book provides a very good overview of the subject from the dancer's point of view.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2010
I have to say that I felt relieved to have come across this guide to nutrition for dancers. It tells you most things you need to know and nothing you don't. As a dancer myself I've always found it particularly difficult to (1) stick to healthy eating habits when in the midst of a hectic rehearsal/performance schedule and (2) distinguish between dietary advice which is accurate and reliable and that which seems faddy. This book is packed full of practical tips, I feel safe following the advice in view of the author's professional background and it left me feeling very inspired to make good nutrition a priority. I think this book would a valuable tool for any dancer who takes their art seriously and wants to learn more about staying healthy.
on 21 September 2011
For years I have been trying to understand the concept of "Healthy Eating" - I've asked friends who are personal trainers and my only reply was to look online. All I wanted at the time was a website or book that told me what I needed to know. This book does that and more! It helps you calculate the number of calories you need depending on the amount of activity you do, it's explains what is the ideal type of food to eat (carbs, protein and fat etc) and Michi's Ladder is perfect to help you decide what foods to eat (and can be found almost everywhere online).

This book tells you everything you need to know and more! I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who's serious about living a healthy lifestyle! =D
on 2 January 2013
I love this book and recommend it to all my students as it is simple, concise and considers dancers needs to fuel properly for best performance. Recommended to dancers and dance students.
on 9 January 2014
I truly loved this book, I originally borrowed the book from a friend, loved it so much I purchased a copy myself on Amazon. It is a very informative book, which educates you on nutrition and how to get the best out of your food; how to incorporate healthy meals with dancing. Even if you are not a dancer but would like to know how to eat well while exercising this book is very useful.I really love this book so glad I bought it, it even has easy recipes that you could turn to if you totally run out of ideas on what to eat.
on 3 April 2011
A fabulous book for girls who are doing ferocious amounts of exercise and want to be slim. Because this book takes the desire to be very slim seriously, those desiring extraordinary slimness take it seriously. The book teaches to eat before exercise so as to burn fat not muscle and snack on nutritious things to keep hunger at bay; it also shows that eating carbohydrates is not a punishable sin, but necessary to be able to dance to the best of your ability. The chapter on fad diets is a godsend too.

One star missing because it still buys in to a body ideal that is punishing young women, but seeing as the norm is for them to punish themselves, this book helps hugely in at least keeping their bodies healthy while we address the generally unrealistic and cruel body image of women that creates the problem.
on 20 March 2014
An interesting and factual book with some lovely pictures. I would thoroughly recommend.
Essential reading for all dance students training at professional level.