on 22 May 2001
I agree, a compelling read to either dip into or immerse yourself in. My only slight criticism is there seems to be a lack of balance in the depth of each story, for instance one crash is covered significantly over a large number of pages with seemingly trivial information whereas other landmark crashes are a simple paragraph. That said, I could not put it down, carried it everywhere, and read excerpts to anyone who would listen! A good mix of photographs and diagrams too. The most amazing photograph for me was a plane taxiing past wreckage on a runway of a plane that had crashed the night before, only to read that the taxiing plane takes off and crashes 30 minutes later. Takes your breath away...
on 9 November 2013
This is the 2006 fourth edition of this book the first beinng published in1993.
The book covers all the main air crashes from 1950 up to the 2000s.The causes of these disasters included weather,inhospitsl terrain,mechanical failures,pilot error and terrorism.
High profile incidents such as Pan Am 103,Concord and the terrorisf attacks on the U.S. in 2001 are all well documented.
The author ddescribes new technologies resulting from these incidents.
All very well written,researched and illustrated.
It must be remembered that air travel is the safest form of transport.
on 15 April 2009
When my copy of this superb book dropped through my letterbox, I wasn't to be disappointed in any way at all, when I opened it! The crashes are dealt with in some detail, and there are many excellent photographs that create a lump in one's throat, when you realise people died in those burnt out hulks. There are some very informative diagrams, that just add to this book's appeal. David Gero writes about each terrible crash, with finesse, knowledge & feeling. For the ridiculous price I paid for this excellent publication, I have in my grasp, for good, a superb aviation/air crash investigation publication, that I will treasure. This book should be dedicated to every person who lost their lives in the terrible crashes, dealt within the covers of this fine book. I can't find a single bad thing to say about this book at all, and I rate it as a 5 star publication!
on 2 June 2010
I bought this book as I'd seen a documentary based on it. It's a great book if you are a real aviationist and want all the technical details as it literally summarises the actual accident reports. So it's very repetitive in style and in my view not exactly a good read. Despite the glossary I did find it a bit frustrating when I wasn't able to follow the technical descriptions at key points. On the other hand I did enjoy the overview for each decade as it illustrated how the problems changed as technology advanced and safety features were introduced. In particular I felt it gave a good picture of the interface between those flying planes and those sitting in the air traffic control room. No doubt it will remain a firm favourite with the aircraft enthusiast.
on 5 February 2001
I have had this book for years, and have learnt that whereas 95% of airliner crashes are logged, there are 5% that have neither registration, make or airline, so that the people who have perished are not accounted for. I find this a very good reference book for the beginner who is just taking an interest in airliner disasters, as I did when I first started reading it. It is a compulsive read and very hard to put down. The photographs & drawings/diagrams are excellent and descriptive. A must have for any disaster groupie.
on 13 May 2015
Fantastic book, well researched and very readable. Not too technical, but enough detail to keep you interested. Best book on the subject by far.
on 3 December 2012
I realy like this book. Details plane crashes all over the world and why they happened. If you've seen Air Crash Investigation, then this book compliments the TV show. From these disasters the air crafts have become safer and give you confidence to continue flying.
on 13 November 2014
Bought for a Xmas present.