on 29 October 2014
As an experienced L&D practitioner I have worked with many of the existing ideas and models around leadership over the years. I found this book by James Scouller brings together many of the ideas into one cohesive approach. I found his '4 Dimensions of Leadership' useful when discussing what leadership (and management) actually is with groups of managers. I have also used many of the ideas in the '3 levels' as the basis for a leadership development programme.

I can recommend this book to anyone interested in some of the most recent thinking on developing leadership.
on 29 December 2012
Excellent book, really easy to read and understand, helps to clarify leadership methods and styles, each chapter ends with a summary, one of the best leadership books I have read.
on 4 January 2016
Reading this book has been an extraordinary experience, especially having read other books on the hotly debated question of whether successful leaders are born or developed.

James Scouller has successfully distilled many practical insights on leadership based on his experience and sound research. His stated aim of writing a book that is no longer than it needs to be (an aim I approve of) means it is quite densely packed with information in some parts. But overall, the tools, checklists and guiding questions provide great help for junior executives, complete and clear frameworks for middle managers and invaluable support for senior executives striving to grow themselves.

If we are to reach our full potential as leaders we should all strive for greater skill and self-mastery. Reading this book will help you do that. You will understand significantly better what leadership means and how to improve your ability as a leader ' and improve the work life of the people around you. If you read this book it will be time well spent and a valuable investment in yourself.
on 15 May 2013
A must read book on leadership which explores leaders and leadership from the three dimensions of public, private and personal. James Scouller has a wonderful ability to introduce complex and multi-layered ideas in an accessible, practical and meaningful way. This book is a really thought-provoking guide for leaders, teams, organisations and those who coach leaders.
on 21 February 2017
Currently completing ILM7 Executive Coaching and Mentoring. I find this book very thought provoking and challenging from a personal perspective and also from a professional standpoint. It crystallises many points in a succinct text which doesn't overdo it in theory. It is very practical. I find I see where leadership is not that effective and identify with leaders I have encountered in the past who exemplified all the good stuff you want to see in leaders. 'The purpose of the leader is to make sure there is leadership' The whole idea of 'presence' being developed from the personal working its way out to the private and public as the foundations for success. I think everyone who is seeking to be a coach should have this text as a companion.
on 20 November 2013
This is probably an important book, in that it brings together the world of leadership as widely understood by leadership and management writers with the world of personal development and psychotherapy.

The author makes a lot of assertions - many of which I happen to agree with - so it didn't put me off. But that style of asserting things as truths might put some off.

The personal development section - which is long and full - seems to be based around the author's knowledge of psychosynthesis - if you buy into that approach you'll love it. But of course there are many other schools of psychology and you might do well to pick some that work better for you.

The approach is very self-centred - personally I prefer a more relational approach.

Personally I also find the emphasis on what seem to me to be largely cognitive exercises a bit too much like hard work. Although there are some real gems in there including dis-identification and meditation work. It turns into a great handbook of technique as you get nearer the end. But I think it's worth considering the work of people like my colleague Ben Fletcher on behaviour change as an alternative approach.

Overall, well worth the money.
on 17 June 2014
I was looking for an introduction to leadership and management and a friend lent me a copy of this book. Unfortunately it is pitched at too high a level though I'm sure it would be good for someone at a more senior level. I did read quite a lot of it and found it of interest but not relevant to my present needs. I had a look for something at the right level and found Who's Driving the Bus? : Leadership & Management in a Few Easy Steps by Sue Gee which I found very well written, informative and entertaining.
on 20 December 2014
This is a very good book. However the writing style is a bit too technical for my liking. I preferred the Leadership Coach Workbook (Teach Yourself) I recently purchased as it is more practical.

However, the author really know his stuff here and it comes across.

I read this from cover to cover on a long haul flight and I enjoyed it, I am just not sure I will change anything I do.

But this is worth buying.
on 24 April 2013
I am into this book and already leadership does feel a lot more than I thought. The concept of private, public and personal attributes was eye opening to me. In some ways, becoming a "good" leader does sound a bit distant - it is clearly a 6-12 month process to be applying the principles in the book - but it seems justified for the accountability / responsibility that leaders are entrusted with.
on 26 July 2012
I have read every leadership book imaginable on the market and they generally all come back to the same principals dressed in a different wrapper. James has blown me away with this book - I can relate to it so strongly. I hope one day I can prove the contents of this book to be correct - the personal leadership sections is mind-blowing (pardon the pun)