on 22 March 2018
Having waited patiently for this latest, 2014, edition, I am frankly disappointed. It's as if somebody who doesn't really know what they are doing has gone to Wheeler (or Wheeler and Protz) earlier works to produce something modern and glossy which doesn't really work. There's a lot of dismissal of factors as unimportant, or a matter of taste, which are them elaborated at length, eg. hop utilisation. Much important stuff is just glossed over eg. culturing yeast. Most disappointing of all is the recipes: Protz went to great length to consult with breweries over the formulation of their recipes and this is reflected in Wheeler's earlier editions. The new recipes are standardised on pale malt, crystal, chocolate and black malt, where black malt appears to be used just for colour adjustment- might as well use caramel. No mention of yeast type in the recipes, either. A great disappointment. Don't waste your money on this edition, try to find an earlier one.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 September 2016
I was bought 3rd ed as a present, and while it is much better laid out and clearer than 2nd ed I wouldn't have bought it myself purely for that. As with previous reviews, the book is great for new and improving brewers, or those who specifically want to clone one of the listed beers. One thing that hasn't been said in any of the previous reviews is the missing aroma hops on p 109 (Boddingtons Mild). For info, ed 2 gives them as 7g, 9g and 9g for the 19, 23 and 25 litre recipes
One person found this helpful
on 11 May 2018
I had heard good things about this book but the reality is over simplified recipes based round a few malts. Worse still is no recipe has a yeast in it which is disgraceful. Yeast has a huge impact on how a beer tastes and feels. Right recipe, wrong yeast won't give you the beer clone you want. I expect I will have to use forums to ask for yeast selection to get it correct.
on 28 October 2016
Good introduction with some useful looking recipes. Though I was surprised to some of the recipes seem to be suggesting the additional of white sugar in the mash. Am I missing something??? I had imagined the recipes would be applicable to all grain brew? But trawling through the comments on the internet, apparently this is what Graham Wheeler says the big brewers are doing - and these recipes are for cloning popular beers from big breweries. Maybe I have misunderstood.....but I can't see me adding white sugar to my brews. Anyone have any comments?
on 20 November 2016
Very traditional, British beer selection which is fine and the 'old Tom' clone I just finished is great but none of the recipes have suggested yeast so you will still need to get that information from elsewhere hence the just 3 stars from me!
2 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2009
This is an excellent book for those who are first starting off in the world of homebrew. It covers the absolute basics from what equipment to purchase through to more complex matters like formulas for calculating the differences in hop bitterness values.

The book includes brewing from kits, the extract brewing method and explores the more advanced full mash brewing. This book is up to date with techniques and ingredients and in written in an easy to understand way. It also has a large range of recipes for both extract and full mash beers.

Once you have mastered the recipes and techniques in this book I'd recommend How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right for the First Time for intermediate to advanced brewers. This covers a lot more of the chemistry behind beers and is truly a great reference guide.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2015
At the risk of being accused of using a cliche it is 'just what I always wanted.' I'm currently home-brewing from kits and feel ready to take the next step. This book will point me down the right path.
on 20 September 2013
...in my house.
A really comprehensive and informative book. I've not yet ordered the ingredients for my first mash but I'm already so much wiser on equipment, technique, ingredients, ale and beer types, etc.
Trouble is, I get so thirsty reading through the pages.
One person found this helpful
on 17 February 2014
I bought this book to take me a step closer to all grain beer brewing and I am not disappointed. Detailed instructions on brewing topics and water treatment make this a great guide for any home-brewer, but the most useful part is the end of the book. 100 recipes for beers of all different styles including a lot of old favourites. I cannot wait to try out some of them!
on 21 December 2015
Great recipies. Have brewed approx a dozen, all top class. Very similar tot he originals, but even when not, they all have great balance.