Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 December 2011
Great condition, excellent book! Really moving, well written story- thoroughly enjoyed it, even the second time round. Love how it is from the mother's point of view and you dont know what will happen next.
on 20 November 2008
This book promised to be gritty, contraversial, deeply telling and a page turner - unfortunately it was none of those things. I was bored by it and I really disliked Kevins Mum and her bitter, warped way of viewing life. A slow, dull, miserable read - I think this book could of been so much better, what a let down!
on 12 April 2011
Wow what a book-read it a few years ago when rec by the lovely jermery vine. Just popped up on my kindle rec reads list so just a quick review. This is probably one of the most haunting books iv ever read and great for a book club discussion. If you haven't read then its a must! If you have no childern (like me) you won't be able to get your head around her loyalty to this monster-her son! and if you have got kids this situation has got to be the worst nightmare ever. Not sure if any mother would dislike her child so much when young?? unless they were unstable?? Anyway read and judge yourself-simply brilliant!
on 1 January 2007
This book is about a massacre at an American high school. Interestingly, we don't see the event itself but the preceding decades and the aftermath, through the eyes of the killer's mother. I found this approach incredibly gripping. We watch in fascination as Kevin slowly grows from baby to killer, and his mother comes to terms with his crime.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is extremely thought provoking. The book relentlessly challenges our views on parents and children. It's a satisfying, rewarding read. Thankfully, 'Kevin is as rich in suspense and storyline as it is cerebral challenges.
on 15 November 2011
Maybe it's because I'm a woman and this story is written from a female/mother point of view, but this book is hard to put down. It raises numerous fascinating questions and it's an original topic and viewpoint.
on 3 May 2010
I have never read anything that has affected me so much. From the first chapter, I was gripped. I could identify with Eva very easily, though some reviewers cite otherwise. I found her letters to Franklin painfully, searchingly honest and at times I would wince at the bluntness of them. However, it had to be this way for Eva to work towards her answers, and for the reader to trust her as narrator.

Yes, the prose is lengthy, full of minutae (and I had to have a dictionary by my side at all times) but pay attention and it all knits together and you will be rewarded!
on 16 February 2010
This is the most gripping, shocking, harrowing, brilliant read I have 'enjoyed' (that is not the appropriate word) in a month of Sundays. I met the author, briefly, at a local Literature Festival, and found her fascinating, but had read none of her novels at the time.

A week after finishing the book, Kevin and Eva are still very much 'with' me. This novel is a tour de force, and I recommend it to anyone with the courage to read it. The quality of the writing is superb, the plot is cleverly crafted, and the psychological understanding faultless.

As they say - WOW!
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2006
Horrific subject, wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. Another book where my recommendation would be to know as little about it as possible, but be confident that it is a book that is difficult to put down. Intelligent and moving, the overarching horror of an American school killing unravels through the mother of the killer. A massive contrast to Vernon God Little and, I believe, a more effective book as it doesn't attempt to use humour as satire. The best book I read during 2006 (even better than Black Swan Green and The Book of Dave, both of which were excellent).
on 4 December 2015
Absolutely amazing book!!! Worth every penny.
on 26 March 2010
Started reading it a while back and gave up after the first few chapters but lots of people have said that if you persevere with it and get past the first 100 or so pages it is a fantastic read - we'll have to see...

Have finished - after the first 100 or so pages it is gripping and very hard to put down - it is disturbing throughout and I can honesty say that it is one of the best books, and at the same time one of the most horrific books, I have ever read - the end made me cry and also sent shivers down my spine, which is a first for a book.