TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 April 2015
I first read this shortly after it came out, but I have periodically been back to it and I think it's still as relevant as when it came out - which is no mean feat for a book that deals with a fast-moving area like technology. I think the reason it has stood the test of time so well has to do with its focus on our own attitudes to technology (as much as on the technology itself). We like to think of ourselves as having attained a level of sophistication that has taken us beyond the kind of primitive attitudes which Arthur C Clarke was probably thinking of when he suggested that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. The key insight of Techgnosis is that some of those primitive views still exert a strong influence when it comes to our reactions to technology and in particular, our hopes about what it can do for us (particularly its ability to "transform" our world). That insight remains as important now as when the book was first written
on 11 February 2011
This is one of the very few modern books that I shall go on re-reading every few years for the rest of my life (I can only think of rwo or three others: Gregory Bateson's Steps to an Ecology of Mind, George Lakoff's Women Fire and Dangerous Things and Richard Bentall's Madness Explained). The historical sweep, the originality and the relevance to so many contemporary questions are unrivalled. Amazingly, Davis was only thirty when he wrote it.
on 8 November 2001
Erik Davis manages to show us how much we have learned, how sophisticated we have become and yet how much we are still the same beings we were 2000 or 4000 years ago in mythological, social and philosophical terms. He manages to dissect mankind in a cyber-philosophical way to show amazing analogies between our modern civilization and the antique and medieval world.
In my opinion, Davis manages to proof that a few things have never changed, and he also explains why.
This book took some time for me to read - not because it is hard to read, (it is actually very entertaining) but every few pages I had to stop and think a lot...There is a few things you will see in a different light after reading Techgnosis.
on 4 November 2012
I first read this shortly after it came out, but like one of the other reviewers here, I have periodically been back to it and I think it's still as relevant as when it came out - which is no mean feat for a book that deals with a fast-moving area like technology. I think the reason it has stood the test of time so well has to do with its focus on our own attitudes to technology (as much as on the technology itself). We like to think of ourselves as having attained a level of sophistication that has taken us beyond the kind of primitive attitudes which Arthur C Clarke was probably thinking of when he suggested that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic. The key insight of Techgnosis is that some of those primitive views still exert a strong influence when it comes to our reactions to technology and in particular, our hopes about what it can do for us (particularly its ability to "transform" our world). That insight remains as important now as when the book was first written.
on 10 June 2015