Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 29 April 2004
There are lots of books out there about the moon landings. I still think Chaikin is the best for both excitement and thoroughness. However, this one is good as it includes the whole story right from the start of the Mercury program, and right to the end of Skylab, as well as some summaries of the concurrent Soviet efforts. The author was involved in running tracking stations in Australia, and the book includes some interesting stories about what that was like and the challenges involved, as well as a more general summary of the missions. There's also a great quiz at the end for fellow trivia-obsessives.
The narrative is occasionally marred by minor typos, and a couple of the facts didn't sound right - I thought a "snoopy helmet" was the fabric bit over the head, not the glass bubble helmet, and I think Neil Armstrong thought they had a 50% chance of successfully completing the whole mission, not of failing to make it back to the CM at all. Those arepretty minor points though (and I may be wrong), and the overall impression is of a real expert who is enthusiastic to tell us what it was actually like to be part of this great adventure.
on 20 September 2001
When I was six, Apollo 11 touched a spark in me and made me want to be an astronaut. I never made it but I can still dream. This book is such a delight that it is perhaps as close to being there as I could dream of. Luckily, Hamish Lyndsey can write, and very well too.
This book should delight everyone who dreamt of reaching the moon as I did. It has anecdotes and technical detail. It has excellent photos and hilarious jokes. There is so much here that I never knew, as well as plenty I had forgotten, that it is worth the cover price many times over. I shall be re-reading it for years to come.
Inevitably the run up to Apollo 11 and the first landing get the lion's share of the book. That's not to say that the remaining missions don't get covered. They do, but not too deeply. Thankfully, the book does not finish with Apollo 11 but carries on into Skylab and the Apollo-Soyuz joint mission. The book is all the better for that.
So this is the best moonlanding book I think I have ever read and I think I have read about thirty. It made my memories come alive. I was six again.
This is a thorough history of the Apollo moonlandings written by an insider of sorts, someone who manned the tracking stations in Australia. Luckily,