on 27 March 2001
I was given this book when I was 6 years old and I loved it. I then lost it and for many years it was out of print but I still remember it vividly. What joy now it is back! Spike Milligan has written a wonderful children's book. I am going to buy a book for my niece and I am sure she will love it nearly 30 years after I first read it. I am also buying a copy for myself.
on 12 November 2000
When Spike Milligan turns his comic genius to telling children's stories you are bound to get a classic. I have fond memories of Badjelly from my childhood so now I have children of my own I looked everywhere for Badjelly and the only place that I found it was right here.
Badjelly is the story of a little boy and girl who go in search of their cow who has been cownapped by Badjelly the witch. They meet all sorts of characters along the way that could only ever come form Spike's bizarre imagination. I don't want to spoil the surprise of finding out about these characters by telling you about them know. But you will never have come across heroes and villains like these. The book is reproduced in Spikes own handwriting and he does all the illustrations. If you have never seen what Spike Milligan is capable of this is a great place to start.
on 30 January 2001
Bad Jelly the Witch is filled with everything a kid loves and is afraid of. Spike mixes it all together with that special brand of humour - and a little bit of magic - to make any kid feel as if they can overcome the witch. A great adventure, a great story, and great fun for young and old.
on 24 November 2000
I'm 31 and I loved this book.
As kids we used to listen to this fantastic story on the radio every Sunday morning, back in the good old days when there was no morning TV.
I didn't realise until today that it was written by Spike Milligan. Thanks for nice memories Spike.
on 20 June 2001
Spike Milligan once again gives us an original story that both children and adults will love. As a school teacher of 8 - 9 year olds, I introduced this story to my class and it has been constantly read since - definately the most 'worn' book in the classroom. They are always including 'Tim and Rose' in their stories and can recite parts of the book word for word. I have never seen children love a story so much! The characters are both original and imaginative and the plot is simple and includes jokes, rhymes etc that will appeal to all ages! As a child I remember loving this story and have enjoyed being able to introduce other children to this creative, fun and most of all enjoyable story!
on 7 March 2013
This book has been read and re-read SO many times since we received it. Its a great story with some hilarious characters and brilliant drawings. As it's hard back it remains in great condition even after a hundred reads. Its the sort of book I'll hold on to once my daughter has outgrown it, to pass on to another child in the family.
on 11 November 2013
Delightful short childrens story written and illustrated by one of my all time favourite comedians, Spike Milligan... Fun to read, as well as listen to, puntuated with sketches and drawings, and, as with the written words, all in Spike's own hand... A Caligaphic Masterpiece... Wonderful and inspiring insight into Spike's somersaulting imagination...
on 12 March 2015
I have always loved Spike Milligan
some said he was strange I prefer to say he was out there and this book just shows what a delicate playful mind he had and he always saw the light side of life and it showed in the way he wrote the verses, written for a child and to understood by one
on 4 December 2008
I grew up in New Zealand and we used to listen to Badjelly on the radio every Sunday morning. Most children in NZ of a certain age will remember it well. It wasn't until I mentioned it to my English hubby who had never heard of it that we found out it was by Spike Milligan. Now that we have a daughter I had to buy this so she can listen to it and just mentioning it to my family in NZ sent them out to find it as well.Badjelly the Witch: A Fairy Story
on 31 August 2010
we had this as kids on a 33" vinyl.the book is great but the cd is even better as its read out by spike who does all the silly voices...binklebonk, silly sausage, mudwiggle and the rest. even now when i play it (not just to the kids! i've even played it for friends after the pub!) with the music i still get misty eyed and have to excuse myself! I'm 37! buy the book by all means but you'll enjoy it more if you get the cd aswell cos when you read it to the kids you can copy all spikes voices!