Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2016
Really helpful.
on 20 June 2013
Have always ;loved the D Thomas poem of the title and this is a really useful anthology for funeral occasions - which hopefully dont arrive too often
on 6 January 2013
Always so useful - everyone borrows it which is why I had to buy two. We don't like to think about death but actually the only certain thing about livings that we die. It s so good to be able to find a poem to read at a service or to give to someone else when they don't know where to look.
on 12 June 2017
Simply not to my taste, i work in funeral business, not inspired to use anything from book.
on 12 April 2017
An excellent anthology, ideal for funeral celebrants.
on 2 March 2016
Nice book with a variety of poems.
on 25 January 2016
A very good selection of poems, covering a range of themes. I recently recited 'Do not stand at my grave and weep' at my father's funeral, although it's attributed here to anonymous rather to the actual writer, the US poet Mary Elizabeth Frye (1905-2004).
on 19 October 2006
As a funeral adviser and author of We Need To Talk About The Funeral, I find this an excellent anthology of contemporary and more traditional poems to choose from for funerals. It is split into useful sections and spans Rumi to Neruda to the wonderful Mary Oliver.
on 11 August 2007
I bought this book because a very good woman friend is nearing the end of a long illness. While I could find loads of suitable poems for the passing of a man, or a husband, there was only one poem - that by Joyce Grenfell - which could possibly be read at a woman's funeral, plus the title poem which everyone knows anyway. Many of the other poems I found rather brutal and unfeeling. I wasn't looking for sentimental slop à la Patience Strong, but for something celebrating a friendship and her wonderful life. My only choice now is to write my own. A pity, because I had thought 'what a great idea' when I saw the title on Amazon's list.
on 24 October 2014
A well presented book with popular readings.