VINE VOICEon 22 October 2009
I first came across Kathleen Jamie as a postgraduate. My favourite poem in this collection, The Queen of Sheba, was used as an example of intertextuality. What I loved about it though was how it used the idiom of Scotland as exemplified in the extract below.

she's shouting for our wisest man
to test her mettle:
Scout Scotland for a Solomon!
Sure enough: from the back of the crowd
someone growls:
whae do you think y'ur?
and a thousand laughing girls and she
draw our hot breath
and shout:
THE QUEEN OF SHEBA

I would have given this five stars but sometimes the way dialect is written grates a little (it may be an east coast/west coast thing) but on the whole it's terrific.
on 23 June 2016
Mr and Mrs Scotland Are Dead is a very enjoyable collection of poetry. I’m familiar with the poet from various anthologies I’ve read over the years. I loved the vivid images and descriptions used in the poems. The poet painted lovely pictures inside my head. The poet has a great sense of humour and some poems made me laugh such as The Queen of Sheba and Arraheids. My favourite poems were The Autonomous Region where the poet blends fact, fiction and myth to create something quite wonderful.