Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 August 2009
We are new to narrowboats and wanted something to cover the basics of care as well as some pre-purchase information. Although randomly selected, this book hit the spot. Plenty of technical info, but not too much as to go straight over our heads, but the best thing about the book is that despite being a very useful reference for us novices, is that the underlying humour constantly raises a giggle as you read... And boating should never be too serious...
on 13 November 2009
This book is brilliant. It covers the basics of everything you need. Cant wait to get a boat and get started. Im sure i will come back to this book time and time again. Great buy!
on 5 April 2009
Another of those books or manuals you never read all the way through in one sitting. But then how many people do, when it's a "Care and Maintenance" book? I like the clearly laid out text and not put off by technical jargon. I honestly admit to STILL not having read every minute dot, dash, syllable and bit of text but what I have read, I understand and know I'll keep as a good "well, let's think of this-bit-first" book, when I go to look for and after things! A big thank you to N.B. for putting it this into words some of us non-techies can understand.
on 13 June 2013
This book gives an overview of the systems onboard a narrowboat and some basic maintenance tips. There is very little detail about different systems, pros & cons etc, and the recurring theme seems to be "maintain it or break down". A little obvious, but this book won't give you enough information to actually do that maintenance. Not worth the money - I read it from front to back in 2 hours and was little the wiser at the end. However, there is a good section at the end on boat safety certificate requirements.
on 13 June 2011
Solid info on every page. Explained concisely with pics and diagrams. I have purchased and read other books on this subject but this book has all you need to know. A good solid reference book.
on 10 June 2014
All systems are well explained and the various options fully discussed, the author has then given his opinion on why he has chosen a particular way of doing things which I find helpful. By reading and following the advice I hope to avoid some of the pitfalls of fitting out and equiping a narrowboat.
on 23 August 2013
Although the book provided some very useful information it was not quite as detailed as I would have liked, however it would be a good book for a novice boater.
on 9 June 2014
Good useful advice the only thing I would comment on is that the pictures could have been in colour, although my husband prefers the black and white.
on 6 February 2014
We are new to boating Iandfound this book very helpful and learning about life afloat has helped with our view about getting afloat ourselves.
on 3 August 2014
A bit basic. Not enough detail on the engine side of things but an interesting read if you only want a flavour of maintenance.