on 15 March 2013
Straight forward, easy to understand, description of why we do what we do day after day without thinking. A scientific book without the jargon together with numerous relevant examples to explain every concept. Unusually for such a book, the author is English and so the examples relate to everyday life in the UK: no baseball here.
Every aspect of habits appears to be covered: why we form them, their value as well as their annoyance, how to make the good ones stronger and how to sidestep the worst.
An excellent, easy, read for everyone. Highly recommended.
on 18 March 2013
This is the best kind of self-help book. It doesn't offer easy answers or 'new age' solutions. Instead, it draws on the latest research to show how habits are formed and, crucially, how they can be changed. The author acknowledges how difficult this can be, but he offers sensible advice with a sound scientific base.
on 8 December 2015
Really very good. It is a comfortable read and certainly doesn't fit into the pseudo-psychology genre as the content is well informed and meaningful. If you want to change something, or just understand how to help someone make changes, then this book will be of use to you. I managed to make running a habit despite my entire physical being telling me to mope about at home.
on 19 August 2016
One of the best books I've read in years. I am a semi-regular reader of similar "self-help" books, but I am becoming increasingly critical of them as I get older. However this one combines interesting with helpful. Instead of giving you a "5 step" program, it focusing on increasing the readers understanding the nature of habits, and armed with that knowledge it becomes an interesting journey to oberve and tweak your existing habits.
on 24 June 2013
I bought this book to help with areas in my life that I was struggling with. What it did was help solidify what I already new and encourage me on to change. I think when you pay out for something you are far more motivated anyway to apply what you read..but maybe that is just me..
on 3 October 2014
This is a really smooth read about an interesting and often misunderstood topic. I have found it quite insightful and will be using what I've learned to help me change some of my less useful habits.
on 2 November 2014
An excellent read. I was familiar with Jeremy Dean from his excellent psychology website and his easy style and well informed research made for a good book.
on 8 January 2014
This book explained why good intentions and initial action often peters out. The author also offered strategies to prevent this happening. How often have you started something and then, 6 months later, asked yourself why you are not doing it any more? I will be re-reading this and then putting the suggestions into action. Worth a look if you want to keep up your New Year's resolution past February.
on 9 March 2014
Is fascinating read.mr dean likes his evidence,this is fine by me but after a while accounts of tests,experiments and scientific papers start to blur a bit.he does however have an engaging writing style so is able to move things along at a pace.
At the end I,m not sure i had any huge insights but I did consider that I knew as much about the subject as I needed to
on 24 December 2015
You need to read this if you what to change your life or understand others or educate your kids!