on 24 September 2012
A very easy to read account on the life of a BBC correspondent. The author takes us on a journey on what it is like to be posted to countries on behalf of the BBC. Everywhere from Washington to India and S. Asia and finally to Australia. It's a good mix of fact and amusing stories. It really does lift the lid on what a correspondent has to do to get the story.

I have read Kate Aide's autobiography which was also a very interesting book, but it is not as easy to read as this. The author moves the book along at a good speed and you never feel that some chapters are too long.

A highly entertaining book. Very highly recommended.
on 7 July 2012
This book is a moving and honest account of life as a foreign correspondent. A personal story of world events and adventures, the way that those events are reported and the way that reporting has changed. This book is fascinating take on the story behind the stories and the way that news is portrayed and perceived. Well worth a read and highly reccomended!
on 9 March 2013
How disappointing that this couldn't have been made more interesting. It is as if Nick was flicking through his diaries over the last 20 years and doing a bullet point run down - 'went here, wrote a few articles, oh this dictator/president was great, went somewhere else and did the same again. Missed 9/11 as I was on holiday, didn't make it to Iraq, but had a quick jolly in Afghanistan where I like think I ruffled a few feathers. Long live the BBC!'..... Lots of opportunity for character development and refelection none which were taken advantage of. I was almost in a coma of boredom before I reached the end.

As Nick wrote himself of his own blog, such remains true of this book ;
"The analysis has often been pretty shallow. Factually, they have often been incomplete. They have not always benefited from what foreign correspondents value the most: the luxury of patient observation."
on 24 April 2014
Knowing the author I found the book utterly interesting. The style of prose makes for great reading and gives an insight to news items beyond what was broadcast or previously expressed. Highly recommended.
on 3 August 2012
Confessions from Correspondentland: The Dangers and Delights of Life as a Foreign CorrespondentReading this book it becomes apparent that Nick Bryant has reported on most major news events in the last 15+ years.
The book diarises events in a gripping and often comical way. A real page turner and I have a new found respect for BBC foreign correspondants who, when others are running from danger are desparately running toward it to get the story.
on 5 February 2013
Was gripped by the first few pages, but it then gets slow and descriptive on details that do not keep me reading. Gave up and never finished the book. Perhaps just not to my taste.
on 17 January 2013
I enjoyed this book although I found the early part, with a lot of American politics a bit tedious. When the author got to Asia, and we had snippets from lots of different countries, looking at the same issues from different sides it was very interesting. The author's style is very easy to read, and he is very honest.
on 21 January 2016
I came to this book rather late, but the information and stories it contained were most interesting. I particularly enjoyed reading Bryant's views on American politics and the complexities of life and politics in south Asia.
on 2 September 2012
On a recommendation I was persuaded to read this book - even though my staple diet is fiction and I'm reluctant to spend too much reading time in the 'real world'. I'm so glad I made the effort. The book offers both an entertaining account of the trials and tribulations of a foreign correspondent as well as thoughtful analysis of some of the major events which have shaped our world in the last two decades. For me, the real appeal of the book lies in the contrasting of the monumental and the mundane as the author juggles his professional obligations with the trivialities of everyday life. I can offer no higher praise than saying this is almost as good as a novel!
on 10 August 2012
I found this book to be very informative, giving a good insight into the life of a correspondent. The author manages to take the reader along with him. It is both well written and a very easy book to read. It's interesting to uncover some of what goes on in given situations in order to fill our newspapers and news programmes. Would like to read more of his accounts.