on 28 June 2010
Pink Brain, Blue Brain is the book I wanted to read years ago before I had my first child. Lise Eliot conducts a thorough review of the scientific evidence on gender differences (innate or developing through brain plasticity) based on biological sex and explains the science and its implications at every step. I finished this book hugely better informed (and with a better understanding of statistics).
on 1 October 2010
As a new mother of a daughter I was instinctively against the "Princess-isation" of little girls' childhoods - it seemed too narrow and restrictive and the more I looked around the more I saw examples of unconscious sexism in the media and in children's marketing. I was suspicious of those who seemed to think that boys and girls were 'naturally' different and could (or even should) be treated differently. So I was looking for evidence one way or the other. Are boys and girls really that different?

This book answers that question. It lays to rest a lot of myths about childhood and even points out where some of those myths are making us treat our children in ways that could damage them long-term (for instance the routine circumcision of baby boys in the US without anaesthetic because 'little boys are tough'. Actually they're more vulnerable than girls at this stage.) The book is based on solid neuroscientific research and has made a difference to the way I'm raising my daughter. It will also make a difference to the way I raise my son when he's born in a month or so! I really feel as though this is a book every parent should read.
on 21 May 2011
Really makes you consider the validity of the evidence you read in so many books on brain research. Would recommend if wanting to look into all points of view.
on 13 July 2013
A very great book on gender and the way small biological differences evolve to create the stereotyped society we know live in. Great insight on the "nature vs. nurture" debate, lots of detailed information on the biological differences and great support for any research on gender!
on 20 May 2013
I bought this book to write an exam paper on gender differences, at the university, and I just love the way it is written. It is academic, but not boring or difficult to read (even for a non-english reader). And opose to other books on this subject it is based on proper science. Read it - you will not regret it!
on 16 November 2013
This book is a solid read and some compelling evidence. Personally I preferred "Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex" by Cordelia Fine. Which simply and convincingly says there is no difference between the sexes, its all social and environmental that we choose to associate differences in gender that simply do not exist.
on 28 April 2016
It starts off really compelling but about half way through you lose track of which bits are based on science, and which bits are waffley conjecture. Gave up half way, not sure what point it was trying to make any more.
on 4 July 2014
Such an interesting read and has supported my in completing my independent enquiry. it had prompted discussion and gives interesting ideas.
on 20 August 2010
A very interesting book ,written without too technical terms. A book I am working my way through in bits rather than a sit-down and go from cover to cover.
on 19 September 2014