on 3 January 2011
Daniel Siegel's Mindsight offers a rare combination of clinical case studies and easy to understand neuroscience that allows us to understand his success with the treatment of mental illness. Siegel is a top psychiatrist who has himself experienced the power of meditation and he is brave enough to challenge the status quo and provide powerful evidence that techniques derived from the ancient practice of meditation work at a very deep level on the human psyche. It is reassuring to hear from a Harvard trained professional that drugs are not the answer to some of the mental disorders now so common among us: depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and so on and so forth. The more medical and psychology professinals and therapists that read this book, the more chances we'll have of moving towards a more humane treatment of mental disorders.
on 3 April 2015
I seldom write reviews but Mindsight is one of the gems that we all need, and writing a review is my way of helping spread the words. As someone who has dealt with lifelong issues when it comes to caring for myself and for others, this book has been a godsend.

Daniel Siegel explains the complex topic of how our brain shapes our world and how some of us have become prisoners of our own thoughts. Over the past six years I have read numerous books on how to better myself, how to live a fulfilling life and how to achieve good things but eventually my mind went back to its normal state of being chaos driven and full of uncertainties.

The ability to look inwards into our own minds to understand how our past experiences has shaped our mind, how our mind drives our actions and then unlearning the past behaviour to compassionately work with it towards a better outcome is the essence of Daniel Siegel's Mindsight.

Mindsight is a unique gift that all of us should read with an open mind. For those of you who can afford it I would suggest buying the audiobook. Dan Siegel's narration of Mindsight is as compassionate as the content of the book.
on 24 December 2014
where there are a lot of self-help books on mental methods but not where exactly in your brain things change, Siegels book connects perfectly the inner world with the parts of the complex brain that are dealing with this change.
Where neuroscience deals only with the physical parts and the connectness between them, the don't describe the psychological change.
Siegel's book connects the two in a very pleasant and readable way without delving too much in the complexety of both worlds.
I was referred to this book by reading Panksepp's work via Damassio through reading a lot of Stephen Wolinsky's fantastic work.
Great work from Siegel which I read with a lot of revelations during the journey in the book.
on 18 January 2017
Fantastic book for therapists, individuals and students. Dr D Siegel marvels at his work and results speak for themselves. I have really benefited from the client's examples in this book, as being not a scientist or particularly academic, examples really helped me understand impacts of trauma and ways of addressing these. Every book by Dr Siegel is a gem. So grateful for his contribution to humanity.
on 24 April 2017
I originally read this a couple of years ago. I then purchased it for my brother who has really benefitted from the insights.
on 7 March 2017
Excellent! Well written and accessible.
on 2 May 2014
This is an easy read which pulls together the current scientific research of psychotherapy and the brain, without getting lost in unnecessary words. It keeps to the point in an effortless flow of information. I really enjoyed it !
on 11 June 2017
Excellent book
on 4 May 2013
Dr Siegel explains how understanding the structure of the brain can be used to heal people. Thus someone who has difficulty accessing their feelings or understanding others will do exercises to strengthen the 'feelings' parts of the brain and are able to change more effectively than they would by talking about why they can't understand feelings. I would love to watch Dr Siegel treating patients and see him demonstrate the exercises he uses - any chance of a DVD?
on 3 March 2015
This is the first book I have read which has inspired me to develop a greater understanding of the brain and the various functions science has revealed so far about these functions; - but this book is a complete mind-opener -this is a totally fascinating read, with compelling case examples demonstrating how Mindsight principles can enable clients to become unstuck from rigidity or chaos. I started and had to complete it within 3 days such was it's clarity,educational value to anyone new to Interpersonal Neurobiology and compelling descriptions of patients Daniel has worked with. A must read for any therapist or counsellor to expand your thinking in ways that just may change the way you work. Highly recommended.