on 20 January 2013
One thing i must express before i write about this wonderful book is my surprise at the kinds of criticism towards it. It's one thing to be put off by the lifestyle that Boyle promotes in the book, but some of the views seem almost bitter, or dare i say it, tinged with a hint of jealousy that Boyle has recieved a little publicity as a freeconomist. One comment even suggested that this book should never have been printed in order that it keep with the beliefs of freeconomy. How else are we(the non freeconomists) supposed to learn about freeconomy if no one writes/blogs about it? Psychically? Some have also suggested that Boyle is preaching to the converted, but i think people have to remember that it's not just freeconomists or those with knowledge of freeconomy who are going to read it. I feel personally that Mark was probably NOT aiming at freeconomists, but that's just my opinion. I think he may have been aiming it at people like me, people who are tired of the money problem, yet have no knowledge of any other way. i really learned a lot from this book. In my opinion there are not enough books out there promoting this lifestyle. (and just imagine if every single person that cared about freeconomy, instead of finding fault with each other, supported each other and genuinly believed they were a team, a family; imagine what could be achieved!)

The Moneyless Man was a brilliant read. While of course i'm not certain, i imagine that most people in their lives have wondered "what if", what if you somehow found yourself faced with living in the outdoors with no money, no heat, no food. Would you have what it took to survive? It's a book that clearly affects people in different ways as can be seen in the positive and negative feedback. For myself, it made me recall all the teachings that my father gave me, about trees and how to identify them, about the various wild plants. It made me look at nature in a different way. If you were starving for food and had no access to any, it's nice to think that dandilions and nettles are, at the very least, a substitute. I think this would be an enjoyable, interesting book for many people, especially those who are tired of the ways of modern day civilisation.
23 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2011
I've often been called an 'advertiser's dream' in that as soon as I see something advertised, I add it to my shopping list without a second thought. I'm guilty of placing far too much importance on money recently, getting myself into increasing amounts of debt. This book came at the perfect time. After reading this book, I will no longer be doing that. In fact, I've already made several beneficial adjustments to my lifestyle. Mark is an inspiration. Although he has received some criticism (and let's face it, what person who has made a difference hasn't been criticised?), his way of life is one which few people would be able to carry out. He is inspirational and such a strong individual, everyone should read this book. There are many tips on how to adjust your own lifestyle to help the environment and fellow humans, and live more compassionately. I don't think, as one reviewer suggested, that Mark preaches at all and yes, his views may be a bit idealistic but if we all aspired to help the planet a bit more and shun consumerism, perhaps they wouldn't be.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 April 2018
A truly inspiring read. I have not been so motivated and excited about a book since I read How to be free by Tom Hodgkinson. The amount of page corners I have bent is testament to that. It has already sent me on a journey exploring other individuals and ideas on low impact living.
on 29 March 2017
Although he holds sting opinions in some areas this is a very good book, that presents some harsh facts and some great ideas. We would all go well to follow some of his examples. Definitely food for thought and well worth a read.
on 16 November 2011
I really loved this book and found it very inspiring. It is also a genuinely good read. You really feel you can follow his story as he tells you about how he faces the different challenges and the ups and downs of the process. It is funny, it is entertaining, it is a 'human-interest' type story, it is very read-able and yet it is also saying something profound: that's quite a combination! I've given it to friends as a present and they like it too. It would make a great Christmas present for family or friends who are worried about the world and the direction we are heading in. It has the best description of money, where it comes from and how it works (or not) that I have ever read: finally I understood money. I also liked the fact that Mark Boyle doesn't preach - at all - in fact he spends a lot of the book insisting he's just an ordinary man. I think that's important because it makes you feel like you can relate to what he is doing and that you can also try, like him, to do your best to make changes that make a difference. I don't know that I can live totally without money but his book has helped (along with some other things) to inspire me and my partner to finally take the plunge and to make major changes - we've given up our jobs, are selling up, leaving the city and heading off to live a simpler and more self-sufficient life in the countryside. This book really helped me to be totally clear in my head about what I don't like about the world in which we live and what I'd like to see being different. He also says something really important about how one should have one's head, hands and soul/heart in alignment in life - that seems to me really crucial, it really spoke to me at any rate- so many of us are so alienated from what we do and how we live in this economic system. I'm hoping to be less alienated from my own life from now on. Less "work", less money, more time time to walk in the woods.
on 1 January 2014
Saw this book mentioned in an on-line news article and it tweaked my interest.

Quiet an inspirational read and just shows there are alternatives to our normal wasteful ways of living.

I'm well to old and soft to ever contemplate such an endevour but good on Mark for showing what can be achieved.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2014
I'd read a lot about Mark Boyle before I bought this book. I was totally fascinated with the life he had chosen and his reasons for doing it. The book is an inspiring read and Mark is a man of courage, wisdom and creative resolve. I've given it 4 stars because I was hoping there would be more direct guidance for those wanting to follow his path. I'm still thinking about buying his other book though as it looks more geared to what I was hoping for, but either way, I could happily read about Marks life for hours, I would love to meet him (not in a stalkerish way lol) Inspiring indeed.
One person found this helpful
on 28 April 2012
An absolute must reading. Mark Boyle describes very detailed his year of freeconomic living. Almost every question that arose in my head while reading the book was answered in later sections. One question, though, remained unanswered. What when you have a family? Would it be possible to rise children that way? What about their education then? This I would really want to know from someone who has had this experience. I believe, it is quite easy to live without money when you are single. It would have been really interesting to read of a family who lived that way. However, Mark's experience is very enlightening and should make us think about our own consumeristic lifstyles.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2018
Could you live without money? One mans journey to find out.
on 22 November 2016
YES YES YES! Very inspirational. Good for anyone that gets hyped thinking about unconventional living.