on 9 September 2017
I came to lacan via zizek - having read a number of his books - as with cakes -somethimes you just want to how what its made of - zizek is to me like an obsessive who gives insightful and entertaining descriptions of cakes e.g. being like psycho cleaning a toilet... tastes a bit like kafkas literal understanding of typerwrters or that joke about the chicken etc... but ultimately you come away with no real idea if the cake is a light sponge or a sack of sprouts This book on the other hand is very well written, a clear and detailed exposition on lacans ideals -no jokes or elaborate and often distracting literary detours - it does a great job of telling you what the cake might actually be made of, how its baked and why you might want to eat it... from my experience, id save reading any other books on lacan until after youve read this (zizek from example adds emphasis and a very insightful dimension to lacan, but possibly best experienced in conjunction with or after an introduction like this one)
on 18 February 2016
As others have commented, this is a really well written and clear description of Lacan's work. The writing style is engaging and thoughtful. Before moving into Lacan's concepts and useful chapter is provided both on Lacan's background and also his influences. I found this particularly helpful as I am more interested in Lacan's impact on social theory and philosophy than on his psychodynamic practice. That said, as the author is himself a practitioner he was able to give useful practical examples of how Lacan's different concepts could be applied to case studies and real world examples - this really brought the thinking to life.
The author has found a good way to make many of Lacan's key terms understandable whilst retaining their original (sometimes French) terminology - having read the book I feel confident to now directly tackle some of Lacan's original work and source material.
I also found the contextual elements of the book about the debates and battles between different psychoanalytic bodies and institutions helpful as it provides a map for how Lacan is viewed now.
I can thoroughly recommend the book. It has the merits of being a deep and stimulating read whilst being accessible and enjoyable.
on 9 April 2014
This book is very simple and perfect for those starting out with Lacan. Especially students!

I was first introduced to Lacan with Darien Leader's "Introduction to Lacan, a Graphic Guide", and then spent a long time reading "Introduction to the Reading of Lacan" by Joel Dor. I then purchased Lionel Bailly's book "Lacan: A Beginner's Guide" and found it a very smooth read. My experience of having read two books prior to Bailly's book enabled me to read Bailly's book with ease, but it also enabled me to say that whilst the book is a great start, it lacks the depth one may be looking for with particular topics in Lacan. Therefore I'd say that although there is no such thing as the perfect balance for what a reader looks for when learning about Lacan, the three books I have mentioned are a perfect combination for getting to grips with him.

Above all, with Lacan, patience is key.
on 4 August 2017
This is the best introduction to Lacan I have read. It is well written, accessible, engaging and usefully demonstrated. Some Lacanian concepts are difficult to grasp, this texts makes them comprehensible. The structure leads you through the development of Lacan's ideas so that one builds upon the other. This provides a logical progression through his ideas
on 11 September 2013
A superbly written book, covering a huge amount of theoretical material in an astonishingly small amount of space. This is no mean feat considering the complexity of some of Lacan's formulations and shows real mastery of the subject on the part of the author.

I've spent about the last year trying to get to grips with Lacan and am pleased to say that I feel I'm beginning to get somewhere, thanks also to Bruce Fink's superb 'A clinical introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis' which makes a brilliant companion piece. It's a good job that there are some first rate writers committed to introducing Lacan to a non-French audience because the ideas are too beautiful to go to waste. Oh, and the book is under a fiver, too. Fantastic.
on 17 September 2016
I found this so helpful as I was struggling to get my head around Lacan. Currently writing my MA thesis and I found this is not only an accessible book but I've enjoyed reading it. I think it helps you to go back and approach Lacan's own work with a bit more confidence. It's also comforting to read that pretty much everyone finds Lacan's writing obscure!
on 8 January 2018
The best guide to lacan by a long way. Simple, straightforward and very clear explanation of his ideas in detail. No jargon or word games, excellent guide to a very important thinker and clinician.
on 28 February 2015
Lacan is not easy ... but you have to know the basics to understand so much of contemporary psychotherapy, psychiatry ... and even art ! This is the book you need, and it will take you to a long way ... easy to understand, clear and pleasant ...even if it is about Lacan !
on 30 August 2017
A very clear and well explained introduction that pointed me in the right direction for further study and demystified some of the trickier Lacanian concepts. A good start for people w huh o are just starting to read Lacan.
on 13 August 2017
A bit comlex but a good introduction