on 3 September 2016
brilliant book and informative on the study of elephants
on 2 April 2007
The Elephant's Secret Sense is an amazing adventure about a part of Africa I didn't think still existed, where elephants roam wild in their thousands and people are eaten by crocodiles while they wash their clothes on the river banks!

This book covers Caitlin O'Connell's thirteen year journey with the elephants and people of Namibia; a journey that started out of graduate school and continues today at Stanford University where she is now a researcher. It's an intimate look into how elephants and humans are struggling to live side by side and how experiments to keep elephants out of crops led Caitlin to figure out that elephants are using the ground like whales use the water, to send long distance messages to each other.

From the breathtaking description of an African storm surging over the floodplains to the delightful antics of Donna, a zoo elephant in California, Caitlin's inspiring writing moved me from tears to laughter, and left me with powerful and very visual images that I won't soon forget.
on 10 February 2014
This book purports to be about the secret sense of elephants yet very little of the book is devoted to this. Much more is devoted to meetings between various organisations. I have been to Africa many times and observed elephants in the wild and nothing in this book evokes the magic of these magnificent creatures.
on 1 February 2015
I was looking forward to a good read on the subject of elephants, but was disappointed with this book. It did not tell me much about these wondrous animals, the important issues related to them, nor did it make for interesting reading. I found myself reading it sort of as...homework.
Th 3 stars are for the author's commitment to the study of elephants, and efforts toward publication of a book on the subject.
on 29 November 2012
This book is a revelation.
It has made me understand several hidden facets of this wonderfully complex
and highly sophisticated animal.
on 18 January 2013
Such an interesting and informative booked by someone who knows their subject matter. Elephants are wonderful creatures to be respected.
on 11 February 2016
A wonderful, informative, well-written book. Hats off to Caitlin O'Connell. A must for every elephant lover's library. Highly recommended. I can't put it down.
on 21 April 2016
A very interesting read, these animals are amazing creatures and the more we can learn about them the more we can learn about us!
on 10 June 2012
One of the best books I have read. I am a regular visitor to Africa and this book felt
as if I was there once again.
on 27 December 2015
a book not been read before and delighted to have it