Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2007
What a marvellous way of making philosophy accessible!
I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it a real challenge.
Its light and fun and great exercise for the brain.
on 2 September 2009
I think this book is an entertaining and easily accessible read.

However, the author's prejudices / pov are not stated but do seriously come through. On more than one occasion he mocks feminism (not just the radical kind, but the idea that women should be bothered by being treated as objects), as well as a few other concepts. If he stated his beliefs and views upfront this would make the book easier to take. As it stands, the uneducated reader may believe from the way the book is written, that these are the generally accepted and common sense views of philosophers active in the field today.

I was considering ordering this for my nephew at Christmas, but have decided that I'll stick with the book '50 philosophy ideas you really should know', as it's a much simpler, interesting and even-handed treatment of great philosophical ideas, albeit with a drier less 'stocking-friendly' title!

Overall, the title is great and will appeal to a wide audience and to teenagers, the read is generally entertaining and will pass a few pleasant hours, but the conculsions are a bit weak and the evidence is occasionally biased or missing.
on 22 September 2010
If you are interested in philosophy or just enjoy thoughtful questions then this book is a great read, already recommended it to many friends
on 17 June 2009
This book was on my wish list and I was delighted to get from my kids for Christmas. Unfortunately it was more than a little disappointing. Some of the "puzzles" were interesting but too many were not.

Rather than talking through the different sides of really perplexing philosophical conundrums, this book seemed to put up a fairly fatuous precept, support it with some obviously wobbly thinking, then proceed to knock it down.

Something like: Is the moon really made of green cheese? Some people used to think the moon was made of cheese. How silly, the moon cannot be made of cheese as there are no huge sky cows to produce that much milk.

Obviously they are not that silly, but after reading the first 10 or so of these "puzzles" I got to the stage of flitting through looking for one that might capture my imagination - I was disappointed.

Not a book to make you think.
on 11 September 2014
Makes you think. What can be better? My son appropriated it after I had read it. He keeps asking if I have anymore like it. No, I'm waiting for him to buy one. Who will crack first?
on 28 August 2013
Can be picked up and put down any time. This is my second read of the book. Cave's other good philosphy book - What's Wrong with Eating People? - is just as good.
on 30 September 2011
Good for beginners, but may be too simple or long-winded for those who already know their way around most philosophy concepts. Ideal for those starting AS.
on 7 December 2010
I was really looking forward to reading this book and when it arrived I opened it with anticipation. From the outset, the author's writing style is repetitive and long-winded. The puzzles themselves are strangely lacking in depth and the author repeats himself in lots of different ways. He does not discuss all the possible outcomes and decisions of each 'puzzle' but takes a long time discussing very little (am I repeating myself, like he does?). What a shame - Peter Cave is now on my 'Authors to avoid' list.
on 2 October 2015
Arrived nice and quick, no problems
on 11 November 2008
I was intrigued by the title and the reviews of this book but found it an effort to bring myself to finish this book.
The writing style I found was monotone and the interjections of humour were ineffective - Some of the topics were interesting and there is indeed some good research done to get the information there but I felt that the information was loosely placed into book form for commercial reasons.
Picking 5 or 6 core topics and merging lots of the similar puzzles under these core topics and expanding on them in depth might have better served the reader.