Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 1999
I've read many books on the historical reliability (and unreliability) of the New Testament; I've seen many educated opinions varying in every way; I done studies many resurrections-centered topics; but I've never seen a book quite like this! Morrison takes nothing for granted. He trusts his instincts, and, though coming shy of any kind of Biblical-Christian opinion, he beautifully defends the resurrection in this short examination. As a doubter I find it difficult to swallow what many Christians take for granted in their own faith. This book is not like most. However, as a believer I was thrown by Morrison into the last week of Jesus' life (and the following weeks) as I never have by any lecture or writing. Morrison brings to light many historical details missed my so many people (including myself). He is easy to read and difficult to put down.
To the skeptics: I was once a skeptic. It was not a brief reading of one or two apologetic works that convinced me; instead, it was months and months of hard research, with this book as one of the many highlights. I encourage all to read this.
Morrison's book will forever remain one of my personal favorites.
Luke Gilkerson
on 4 April 2014
Who Moved the Stone? was an enjoyable read.

Morison's main contention is to show that the tomb of Jesus was indeed empty on that first Easter morning. But he doesn't go much further than that. There is little discussion of the nature or meaning of the resurrection appearances for example, or the implications of empty tomb + appearances = risen Christ.

The prose is quite dated at nearly 80 years old, but take it slowly and carefully and its entirely manageable. Some readers may be put off by his characterisations of the women disciples of Jesus. Furthermore, he makes references to authors or arguments yet provides no footnotes to back up his quotes and let the reader follow his trail.

Some of the minutiae in his case seems a bit odd too.
For example, he argues that we can have no idea who the "young man" at the tomb in Mark's gospel is, because he dismisses Luke and Matthew's accounts that there were angels at the tomb as later legendary additions. Instead, Morison prefers some unknown disciple, not one of the Twelve and not one of the women, who believed Jesus' message about his forthcoming resurrection and hurried to the tomb first thing to see for himself if what Jesus had predicted was true.
Secondly, as to the question "Who moved the Stone?", Morison (I think) suggests that the Temple Guard who had been placed there moved it themselves, based in part, from a quote in the 2nd Century, fragmentary "Gospel of the Hebrews".

Overall though, his case is good. He makes logical inferences when reading the New Testament as an historical narrative. In particular, his suggestion that the women did indeed visit the tomb and discovered it empty, yet were subsequently removed from the early Christian apologetic makes sense.

This book has helped me consider afresh the reality of Easter, and will prove helpful when discussing the resurrection with non-Christians. However, I would not recommend giving this book straight to a non-Christian; it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt in parts.
on 8 May 2016
I have been a christian now 49 years and never explored in such depth that Frank had into the facts. I have have no problem in believing what the Bible says but in those 49 years never read the book, till now. The searching that this man did gives someone who still has doubts a good start to finding the risen and still findable Jesus.
on 24 November 2015
It's quite interesting but does tend to take a long time to put its points across and is therefore a bit tedious in places. Personally, I prefer the book entitled "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" by Norman Guisler and Frank Turek as it's easier to read and covers more topics relevant to the Christian religion.
on 20 May 2002
This book, as well as being a gripping read, is a very convinving account of what happened to Jesus in those last days of His life before His crucifixion. But this is really only there to set up the scene. It is Jesus' resurrection which the book sets out to convince us of and it does so very well.
Granted, it relies heavily on the accounts written by Jesus' desciples. But then I've never quite understood why people object to this. Why are we more willing to listen to biased anti-Christian writers like Tacitus and Josephus who wrote long after the events, got there information very second hand and whose writtings we scarcely have any copies written less than 700 years after the originals! With the gospels you eye witness (or in some cases once removed) accounts that were written no more than 30 years after the events took place (and probably long before that), by people who dies for what they had written (so they had to be pretty convinced it was true) and copies of which we have within 100 years of the originals and many fragments much earlier than this. So I think he has every right to use such historical documents as he does. And as to them being inconsistent - they contain just the inconsistencies that you would expect between different eye witnesses. If they were identical then I would smell a rat.
Oh, and in case you were wondering. What little Josephus and Tacitus say about Jesus, agrees with the gospels anyway.
So well done Frank Morison. If you read this boook with an open mind you will surely be convinced of the truth of Christ's resurrection. And if that is true, well then that means we need to take His teaching about Himself pretty seriously too.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2016
A very thought provoking book whether you are a beleiver or not. it really made me think of all the different possibilities and left me convinced that the biblical story could be true. would recommend it to anyone
on 27 December 2015
Bought this as a gift for my mother. She has read it and gives it great praise in terms of the writing style. Also, she says it has made her reappraise the resurrection accounts in the gospels and bought new insights where she thought the accounts could yield nothing more.
on 21 January 2015
Heard the letterbox rattle then my phone pinged to tell me the book had been delivered... I remember when people used to knocked at your door. Lol

So to the booked, only on Chapter 3 and boy is it good, as a recent born again Christian his book is looking to be a real help when talking to non-believers about the passion.
This book was written in 1930, and although its message is eternal and universal, I would say that the make-up of its potential readership in Britain today is very different to the one which existed when it was written. Britain is a much more multicultural nation and people are generally much more skeptical about religion than they used to be.

Frank Morison was the pseudonym of an English journalist called Albert Henry Moss (born 1881 died 1950), who sought to analyse and pick holes in the Resurrection story focussing on the disappearance of Jesus' body from his tomb after his crucifixion. He treats the sources of information that he has in an almost forensic manner and I for one enjoyed revisiting these passages and building up a highly detailed picture from just a few verses of each gospel. Every word and clause is pored over and treated as an historical fact. He brings attention, not only on the key players (Jesus, Peter, Pilate etc) but also on the other minor players in the drama to show their contribution to the story. Morison also brings in other historical sources to justify the logic of the Christian story as presented in the gospels such as the unauthorised gospels and Josephus' history. I would have appreciated more footnotes to indicate the exact sources of what he was trying to convey.

I recall from my schooldays my head teacher talking to my class about ideas contained in this book. I commented that surely it was more important to reflect on what Jesus did and said rather than focus too much on the Resurrection. He said that the Resurrection story was absolutely key and if it were not true, then none of the other aspects of Christ's life and work would matter. This sounds to me like CS Lewis' trilemma that states that Jesus could only be "Lord, liar or lunatic". The Resurrection story is of course key because it is the fulfillment of the Word and so any analysis that gives weight to the historical veracity of the story is very helpful. Personally speaking, I have never had much problem believing it. Compared to Jesus' virgin birth and all the miracles He performed (including raising Lazarus from the dead), his own resurrection does not seem so unusually miraculous.

I have to say though that if you are of a skeptical frame of mind, don't have a basic religious faith or recognise the Bible as a historical document, then you probably will not be convinced by this book. Frank Morison's approach is based on close reading of the Bible and stating that the actions of all the players, major and minor, appear to be entirely rational and in keeping with the miracle of the Resurrection: and therefore, any of the alternative explanations that might disprove the Resurrection do not hold water. I do not think he really explains what he thinks actually happened but leaves the mystery as a mystery - which is ultimately a matter of faith.
on 14 October 2013
I first read this book when I was about 15 and loved it, so when I saw it again I really wanted to read it. Unfortunately it did not have the same impact on me this time round. Obviously the book hasn't changed so it must be me. I found it rather tedious in parts even though the subject matter should be one of the most fascinating possible. I felt that the writer made some sweeping conclusions and presented them as fact. The biggest disappointment to me was, I still don't know who moved the stone....did I miss something ?