Customer reviews

on 28 November 2003
The book is quite well written, but fails to deal with Dawkins' points or produce any arguments for God's interaction in evolution.
Rather amusingyl, Roger Steer chastises Dawkins for not mentioning that Wallace was a theist (although there are places where Dawkins does that), while Roger himself quotes extensively from Susan Greenfield, while never telling his readers that Greenfield is a humanist and would be horrified by having her books quoted as though they supported a Christian view (which Roger does on page 90, by a strange stretch of the word 'denial' - a piece of logic which baffles me)
I am having a discussion with Roger at the moment, as his book invites readers to send in responses.
on 16 September 2003
Normally I would avoid a seemingly academic discourse, but the brevity of the book (139 pages) tempted me, and to my surprise, I found this a fascinating book, and one I am anxious to give to friends. Roger Steer has the abilty to tackle a very technical subject and make it informative and interesting to the layman. I felt I learned a lot as I prgressed through the book. Always, he addresses Dr Dawkins with respect and great charity, and it would be wonderful if a public meeting between the two could be arranged. This is quite unlike the subject mstter of his other books, and I look forward to seeing what or who his next subject will be. It is really good to come across a Christian book which challenges the mind as well as the spirit/
on 31 December 2003
One feature of the book has been to highlight personal responsibility eg. of Richard Dawkins as perceived by Roger Steer in points 1-6 (p.4,5). It is interesting that scientists least inclined to consider the importance of personhood are often most acutely aware of the personal responsibility of someone like Roger holding views, no matter how charitable, of Richard's.As Roger says, listen to any chat show receiving views from the public and it is clear how much people view others as right or wrong or, indeed, as personally responsible.
It was, therefore, wholly appropriate that Roger Steer wrote an open letter from a person to a person.In the desire to represent and explain reality in terms only of automata, the intrusion of personhood is often unwanted. It is suppressed, denied and assumed not really to exist in an automatic world. I am not qualified to comment on the precision, beauty, simplicity or otherwise of scientific explanations of this avowedly impersonal world, but what I do know is that an image-shattering Person communicated real love through something far deeper than words to any persons able to receive that message verbally and that the personal faithfulness of Jesus Christ has proved true for over 30 years, in my life. And if that's personal, well I told you so.