Customer reviews

on 21 September 2017
Very detailed, very well researched, very scholarly ... and very heavy!

By far the best part of the book is the introduction by Richard Clogg, which also tells us who C.M. Woodhouse was: A classical scholar and also a man of action who at 26 became the Head of the British (later the Anglo-American or Allied) Military Mission in Greece during the Second World War.

C.M. Woodhouse therefore writes not only as a researcher but also as an eyewitness of many of the events he describes. The book deals as much with politics as with military aspects ... with more emphasis on the politics. It is serious history indeed, with many characters interacting with one another. I can only recommend it to specialists. It is not a book for the general public trying to understand what happened in Greece between 1941 and 1949, since the level of detail and the style make it very heavy to read.

I was both surprised and disappointed, since other books by C.M. Woodhouse are scholarly but very readable. I greatly enjoyed his Philhellenes, Battle of Navarino and Short History of Modern Greece. I acknowledge he did an excellent job researching this account of the Greek Civil War, hence the 3 stars, but the way he conveyed the information was far too dry.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 18 May 2010
the dust-jacket was missing. Had I known it before, I would have not purchased the item. For the future, I demand that this aspect be specified in the books' presentation.The Struggle for Greece, 1941-1949
|0Comment|Report abuse