Customer reviews

on 9 October 2011
Book arrived on time and exactly as described and in good condition. Excellent, I would use again without any reservations.
on 7 May 2010
My mother has a copy of this book. So has my father. And my sister. And I. And my dog. Okay, no, my dog doesn't own this book, but just about every other member of my family does. Why is that? Well, it certainly isn't because of the beautiful photographs (there aren't any) or the tempting picture on the front cover (I defy anyone to look at it without laughing). What it does have to offer though, is a wide array of recipes that you could happily make every day. Some of them are a tad fussy (I can't be bothered to stuff a turkey leg), but most of them are sensible, straightforward recipes that don't require specialist equipment or unobtainable ingredients. Actually, the length of the ingredients list for most recipes is pleasingly short, making these dishes economical as well as tasty. The amounts needed are stated precisely, plus the instructions are very clear without being over-elaborate.

The Contents are:

Preserves
A to Z of Cookery Terms
Turn Disaster into Success
Storage Guide

The section on cooking with yeast is very brief and only contains a handful of recipes. There are also surprisingly few recipes for rice and pasta. Despite that, this would be a useful book for a novice cook. A more experienced cook will still get a lot out of it, especially if, like me, you sometimes run out of ideas of what to put before your family each night.
on 18 March 2006
I bought this book many, many years ago. I am still using it as I find that when I am searching through my many recipe books, this is the book with the recipe I want in it! There are no fancy pictures in my book but if I had to choose one recipe book, this would be the one. My copy is very old and tattered now so I will have to think of buying a new copy.
The ingredients in the recipes can be found in virtually any supermarket which is a big bonus for me as I only live in a small rural town and do not have access to some of the more unusual ingredients in most of today's recipes.
11 Comment| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2012
My nan gave me this book when I was in my early teens as I love to cook. As other reviewers have said there are NO fancy pics in this book but I have to agree with them it is a great book and I too always come back to this book whether for reference or a recipe.
My copy is a bit worn and falling to bits so will need to get another copy soon!
100% recommend this fab cook book.
on 4 September 2015
I had this book given to me by my Mum when I moved out into my own place, I've had it over 10 years now and is still the one I always use, it has just about everything I need! No fancy gimmicks, just plain and simple!
on 16 March 2013
Brilliant book, for a novice or a pro if you only could have one recipe book, this is the one.
on 19 June 2013
if you are in to cooking this is the book for you.
all you need in one book get cooking