Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 2017
A review from Jenin in Year 6

Varjak Paw is a two-part series by SF Said, who is also the author of The Outlaw Varjak Paw and Phoenix. Varjak Paw is about a cat who learns the seven skills: open mind, awareness, hunting, slow time, moving circles, shadow walking and insight. Varjak is a mesopotamian blue, who lives on a hill but escapes to the streets. Will he survive? I like this book because it is a very adventurous one. I would recommend it to anyone aged eight and over.
on 20 July 2017
Reviews written by children in my class after we finished reading this book together:

Varjak Paw is one of my favourite stories in the world. The cat Varjak Paw sets off to find a dog to help his family. Will he able to complete his challenge?

Sophie age 8

This story is about a cat called Varjak Paw who has to save his family from an evil man and his two cats. I think Varjak Paw should get 4 stars because there is blood and fights.

Thomas age 8

This story is about an adventurous cat called Varjak Paw who leaves his owner Contessa's house on an adventure. He makes new friends and they help him try and rescue his family.

Bethany age 9

Varjak Paw is an inspiring book that makes you want to run wild and read more! Varjak is a mesopotamian blue cat but he is different from his family. When strange people with black cats come to his house he goes into the outside world to find help.

So age 8
on 13 January 2003
This book is great. I read it cover to cover in one afternoon. If you like compelling story telling, intriguing characters that leave you wanting for more and ideas that make you think; then this is for you.
The story telling has the fine craft of someone like Phillip Pullman (must have been all those drafts) but also has the imaginative quirks of someone perhaps a bit more off beat like Neil Gaiman. The book draws on elements from the best of story telling in a coming-of-age way. Varjak goes on an inner journey from confused, insecure cat, who is uncertain of his place in the world (isn’t this all of us?) to a cat who has learnt to trust in himself and friends and that pain and joy are part of life.
On the way, he finds out that not all cats get food in a bowl, not all humans are friendly, that things (especially dogs) might not be how they first appear, and of course how to fight.
The illustrations also add to the atmosphere of Varjak’s world (as might be expected from such a highly respected artist as McKean) and are well worth spending time over. Without giving too much away, other moments I liked: Varjak hunting, the interactions of Varjak and Holly (might there be love in the air?) and the empathy between the fearsome black cats. Some readers may find the dream device to speak to Jalal (the ancestor cat who does much of the teaching) a bit “seen that too much already in other books” however it does work quite effectively
The book sets the scene for more Varjak adventures and I look forward to the next one. I’d like to know more about the other gangs of cats, the history of Jalal and where Varjak is going to next in his life as he continues to find out what it means to be Varjak Paw. Like how we all have to learn who we are and our possible place in the world.
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2011
I certainly wasn't expecting this fairly obscure and underrated children's book to be anywhere near as good as it is. Ignore the clichéd and pedestrian opening chapters - from there onwards the narrative opens up into a breathtaking and powerful coming-of-age story, by turns charming, sinister and exhilarating.

Said knows how to keep a narrative moving effortlessly and it's a shame that few adult novels manage to be so frightening or uplifting. There are strong female characters, dastardly villains and glorious set pieces and it's no insult to say that parts of this novel reminded me of both Watership Down and Kafka on the Shore. An added bonus were the atmospheric illustrations by Dave McKean, who really understands how cats move.

Personally, it impressed me far more than Harry Potter or His Dark Materials and would be my personal pick for best children's story of recent years.
on 29 March 2017
i loved this book its so good IT S THE BEST BOOK IN THE INTIER WOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! pleaes read you will not reagret it is a realy good book
on 19 January 2003
I stumbled across this book, and it's really really wonderful. It would make an excellent gift for anyone that loves cats, or even someone who hated them but is interested in what lies below the surface of the feline nature of reality! I was able to read it with my kids (who also loved it) but enjoy it on an adult level at the same time. And the illustrations are beautiful.
VINE VOICEon 26 May 2009
Finding a fiver in your pocket.
Waking up and realising it's your day off.
Accidentally overhearing someone saying how awesome you are.
Well, I can add Varjak Paw to that list. What's it a list of? Pleasant surprises you don't expect.
After falling in love with the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter, I was recommended this. I picked this up, expecting a decent read, nothing more.

Well, what I got was something special. Now I can see why everyone who comes within reading distance of Varjak Paw raves about it. It's a simple, timeless story, but is so elegantly told through the eyes of a young cat that you really sit up and take notice. It really is Warrior Cats meets Karate Kid. And I'm sure the message to the book, about trying to find your place in the wide world, will strike a chord with as many adults as it does kids.
And that's where Varjak Paw dumbfounds me. At first glance it looks like a simple novel with all the standard nuts and bolts, but it's only when you sit down with the book that you realise that Varjak Paw has something - something! - that makes it strike a chord with it's reader, and sets it a cut above the rest. What is it? I don't know. Could it be the nervy, stylish illustrations by Dave McKean? Or the easily-recognisable vulnerability and self-doubt Varjak has? Possibly these, and more.

Look, what I'm saying is that this book has something very special beating at it's heart that will make you think about it long after it's over. I won't be satisfied until I've devoured the sequel, and even then I may have to beat down SF Said's door and tell him to hurry up with the third. Think I'm exaggerating? Read it yourself. If anything I'm playing it down...
on 1 March 2015
My 10yo son started reading book two of the Varjak Paw series at 2pm today, and by 4pm, he had finished, with a satisfied grin on his face. Now, if my 14yo had done, this, I wouldn’t have been surprised. My eldest son is a voracious reader who would read walking down the street if I let him. But my 10yo is what is more commonly (and ignorantly in my view) called a ‘reluctant’ reader; that is, he, quite rightly, asks a book to earn its demand upon his precious time. He has Roblox, Minecraft and Dragonballz to play, homework to do, lego to build and videos to create. For a book to hold his interest at bedtime is one thing; to make a call on his daylight hours is a big ask. But against all odds, Varjak Paw by SF Said joins the Hall of Fame, becoming the fourth book that my 10yo son read in DAYLIGHT.
But enough from me. I asked my 10yo why he liked the Varjak Paw books so much, and this is what he said:
‘I loved Varjak Paw because it’s about animals, marital arts and adventure. Varjak Paw is a Mesopatamion cat, who in book one lives with his family as a pet. But when two black cats kill an elder of the Paw family, Varjak draws on the ancient tales of Jalal Paw and The Way (an ancient martial arts practice) in an effort to save his family. But to save his family, Varjak has to go into the outside world and gain the trust of dogs, helped by his new cat friends Holly and Tam. But with gangs all around, he realises that the outside world is not all it seems from the inside. I loved this book because it was thrilling and gave the animals the emotions of humans
In Book 2, Varjak Paw has to learn the 7 parts of The Way form Jalal the Paw, and take on the ultimate enemy, Sally Bones, the leader of the gangs who is out to destroy Varjak. Once again, Varjak unites with his trusted cat friends Holly, Tam, and Cludge the dog. But can he destroy the evil Sally Bones and her hold on the city? I loved this book because it is exciting from the first page to the last’.
According to my 10yo, this book is suitable for 8-13 year-olds, and imaginative adults. In fact, he has given both books today to his 75-year-old granddad to read, as they like to share and talk about the books that they love. Both books are short, beautifully illustrated, and should appeal to these mythical ‘reluctant’ readers, who just need interesting characters in exciting situations to engage them: the Varjak Paw series fits the bill perfectly. My child’s only complaint is where is the next one?

on 27 April 2005
I read this book to my son for bedtime reading. It is a gripping story, well illustrated, easy to read in bite sized chapters and written from a 'cat's eye view' in a truly brilliant manner. I would recommend this book very highly!
on 25 November 2014
Varjak Paw is a Mesopotamian blue kitten who lives high up on a hill in a big house with his family who are mean to apart from grandfather and the elder Paw who is the head of the family.The Elder Paw tells Varjak about the seven skills of Jala but he only tells Varjak three of the skills and their names are slow-time, moving circles and, shadow-walking.

Varjak has never actually left home before until one day when grandfather takes him out in to the back garden.To tell him he needs to find a dog to scare a man and his two identical black cats away.

But Varjak doesn't know all seven skills so out in the city he needs to master the other four skills or he will not survive out in the dangers city where there are cars, dogs and cat gangs. In the city he makes two new friends who help him find a dog.

I really like this book and it is one of the best books i have read because it is full of action and excitement. It really makes you read on. I recommend you read this book because it is a real page turner.

Madeleine