Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2015
The delivery was quick and the book came in excellent condition, practically like I brought new! And it's a excellent read!!
on 25 May 2016
I love this book so much I can't stop re-ordering it for presents!
It's a must have!
VINE VOICEon 20 August 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being 6ft myself the title Tall Story leapt out at me and the description made me long to read it. I wasn't disappointed! The book focuses on Andi, a teenage girl in London and her brother Bernardo who lives in the Phillipines. They take it turn to narrate the story about Bernardo coming to England and the events leading up to his arrival, and the dramatic events which follow.

I really took the character of Bernardo to my heart, he is the hero of this piece and very endearing! The writing is fabulous and I would definitely read another novel by the same author.
Tall Story is a big-hearted, generous tale with charm and surprises for all ages. The story's weave (warp & woof) has its warp thread through a Philippine island village, an ill-fated basketball stadium, and a witch's lair, and its woof thread through urban English townhouses and schoolyards. Gourlay brings all together at each shift of her loom, and the finished fabric is mesmerizing and meticulously crafted. The story also rings true: as a teenager I spent a year in the Philippine islands,
and in Tall Story I feel like I am there again, with a bit of heightened reality -- "galing"! The eclectic combination of tropical culture, basketball, and London humdrum is courageous, and while Gourlay cites disparate sources of inspiration for the story's parts, there is an underlying intensity of hope, grief, and wonder that is the soul of the book. Not since reading Sherman Alexie's book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian have I felt so alive in reading a story fit for kids.
on 30 October 2014
Brilliant!
on 10 February 2016
Good book
on 15 March 2013
i really hated this book it felt like it got nowhere and i just really did not enjoy it at all